Market ends with a deep cut for the second day running (Roundup)August 28th, 2008 - 6:06 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 28 (IANS)Indian equity markets for the second straight day closed in red on the back of weak global cues and rising crude oil prices.Banking, oil and gas, capital goods and PSU stocks dragged the market down.
The market started on a negative note and continued to trade in red till afternoon and ended the day with a deep cut.
The 30-share benchmark of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) sensitive index (Sensex), which opened at 14,289.97 points, touched a low of 14,002.43 points before closing at 14,048.34 points. It went down by 248.45 points or 1.74 percent at the day’s close.
The National Stock Exchange (NSE) S & P Nifty, which opened at 4,290.75 points, closed at 4,214.00 points. It went down by 78.10 points or 1.82 percent.
The BSE Midcap index, which closed at 5,608.85 points, went down by 77.58 points or 1.36 percent.
The BSE Smallcap index, which closed at 6,782.30 points, went down by 77.61 points or 1.13 percent.
The market breadth was negative. On the BSE, 900 shares advanced, 1,719 declined and 95 maintained status quo.
Top gainers of the day included Maruti Suzuki at Rs.626.40 up 0.61 percent, Satyam Computers at Rs.404.35 up 0.52 percent and Ranbaxy Labs at Rs.511.40 up 0.51 percent.
Top losers of the day included Hindalco Industries at Rs.138.50 down 12.60 percent, Reliance Industries at Rs.2,147.85 down 3.45 percent and Reliance Infrastructure at Rs.965.75 down 3.15 percent.
- Sensex closes 95 points up, IT realty stocks high (Second Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 86 points higher; realty, IT index up (Roundup) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex crosses 18,000 points on positive European cues (Roundup) - Sep 12, 2012
- Sensex closes dull, IT, metal stocks lose (Second Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Sensex 52 points up; IT, power stocks high (Lead) - Sep 11, 2012
- Sensex closes 148 points down (Lead) - Jul 09, 2012
- Sensex closes in green, HUL top gainer (Roundup) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex slips 136 points, consumer durables, banking stocks lose (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- Sensex plunges 277 points on weak global cues (Roundup) - Apr 23, 2012
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex marginally up; metal, healthcare stocks rally - Sep 10, 2012
- Sensex closes 129 points down on weak European cues (Roundup) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex pares early gains, still 390 points up (Lead) - Sep 21, 2012
- Sensex falls 57 points, metal consumer durable stocks down (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012