Market ends in the red for the second day running (Roundup)June 19th, 2008 - 6:37 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 19 (IANS) For the second consecutive day in the week, the Indian equities market ended the day in the red on the back of heavy selling pressure in power, realty, banking, capital goods and metal stocks. Weak cues from global markets also weighed heavily on domestic bourses. All the sectoral indices ended the day in red.
The market started on a weak note, and from the morning the trading started sliding and continued falling till the end of the day’s session.
The 30-share benchmark of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) sensitive index (Sensex) opened at 15,250.47 points, touched a low of 15,051.66 before closing at 15,087.99 points. It went down by 334.32 points or 2.17 percent at the day’s close.
The National Stock Exchange (NSE) S & P Nifty, which opened at 4,582.55 points, closed at 4,504.25 points. It went down by 78.15 points or 1.71 percent.
The BSE Midcap index, which closed at 6,230.17 points, went down by 129.62 points or 2.04 percent.
BSE Smallcap index which closed at 7,660.42 points, went down by 114.87 points or 1.48 percent.
The market breadth was negative. On BSE, 842 shares advanced, 1,804 declined and 71 maintained status quo.
The top gainers of the day were Mahindra and Mahindra at Rs.576.45 which went up by 1.11 percent, Wipro at Rs.488.50 gained 0.75 percent, Cipla at Rs.217.35 surged 0.23 percent.
The top losers of the day included Ranbaxy Ltd at Rs.552.25, down by 7.68 percent, Reliance Infrastructure at Rs.1,012.35 lost 5.68 percent, BHEL at Rs.1,423.15 went down by 5.04 percent.
- Sensex closes in green, HUL top gainer (Roundup) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex closes 43 points high (Second lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex closes in red (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex closes 71 points down, FMCG, metal stocks plummet (Roundup) - Aug 16, 2012
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, oil and gas, auto stocks down (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex down 82 points as bank, oil and gas stocks tumble - Jul 20, 2012
- Sensex closes 200 points on stronger rupee - May 28, 2012
- Sensex down; consumer durables, auto stocks fall - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, FMCG, PSU stocks up (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex down 35.68 points, oil and gas stocks fall - May 25, 2012
- Sensex closes 111.32 points higher, auto stocks rally - Apr 19, 2012
- Sensex rises 97 points, IT stocks up - Aug 21, 2012
- Sensex rises 120 points, FMCG, realty, metal stocks up - May 17, 2012