Market blaze destroys goods worth lakhs of rupeesMarch 14th, 2011 - 12:35 pm ICT by IANS
Kanpur (Uttar Pradesh), March 14 (IANS) Goods worth lakhs of rupees were gutted in a major fire that destroyed at least 15 shops here early Monday, police said. Three people received minor burns.
The fire that is believed to have erupted from a shop, following an electric short-circuit, engulfed several establishments in the Babupurwa market.
“Within minutes, the fire engulfed the shops and started spreading to residential set-ups in the area. However, with the timely intervention of the firefighters, the fire could not destroy the houses near the accident site,” police inspector K.S. Saroj told reporters in Kanpur, some 80 km from Lucknow.
According to police, initially, locals tried to douse the flames, during which three of them suffered minor burns.
“Most of the shops destroyed in the fire are of garments, grocery and other daily use items. The situation is now completely under control. As the incident occurred early morning, not many people were present in the market,” said Saroj.
“Even as the exact financial loss is yet to be ascertained, it is being pegged at around Rs.30-35 lakh,” he added.
- Major fire in Meerut market, no casualty - May 02, 2011
- Major fire in Uttar Pradesh commercial complex - Sep 05, 2011
- Shopping complex in Uttar Pradesh gutted, no casualties - Apr 06, 2011
- Major fire in chemical factory, no casualties - Apr 20, 2011
- Major fire in paper factory, no casualties - Apr 26, 2011
- Labourer injured in fire in Delhi - Mar 10, 2012
- Massive fire in Uttar Pradesh warehouse - Aug 29, 2011
- 80 shops gutted in Lucknow fire - Nov 06, 2010
- Uttar Pradesh workshop gutted - Apr 29, 2011
- Fire guts Meerut factory, sports goods destroyed - Feb 12, 2011
- Furniture worth lakhs gutted in Chandigarh fire - May 15, 2012
- Over 20 shops gutted in Uttar Pradesh fire - Jun 16, 2010
- Fire in finance ministry office in Delhi (Lead) - Jun 07, 2012
- Mathura market fire destroys goods worth Rs.50 lakh - Feb 11, 2011
- Fire in wholesale grain market, no casualties - Mar 01, 2011
Tags: blaze, early monday, establishments, firefighters, flames, garments, locals, lucknow, minor burns, police inspector, rupees, saroj, set ups, short circuit, timely intervention, ups, uttar pradesh, worth lakhs