Maoists torch excavator in OdishaJuly 20th, 2012 - 6:57 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, July 20 (IANS) Maoist guerrillas Friday set ablaze an excavator of a construction company in Odisha’s Malkangiri district, police said. It was the second such incident in the region in 10 days.
A group of about 20-30 armed rebels raided a road construction site near MPV-15 (Malkangiri Pottery Village), about 700 km from state capital Bhubaneswar, and torched the heavy construction machine, a senior district police officer told IANS.
The Maoists had earlier set ablaze road construction equipment, including a tractor and an excavator near Nahamamudi village, a different location in the same district, July 10.
The rebels have been opposing construction of roads in the regions and have been either targeting contractors or their equipments, the officer said.
The guerrillas are active in more than half of the state. The district of Malkangiri is considered their stronghold.
- Maoists torch construction equipments in Odisha - Jul 10, 2012
- Maoists set ablaze construction machine in Orissa - Jul 05, 2011
- Maoists set ablaze mobile tower equipment, truck in Odisha - Dec 06, 2011
- Maoists torch vehicles in Orissa - Dec 10, 2011
- Maoists kill Odisha villager - Jul 07, 2012
- Maoists torch machinery in Odisha - Jan 04, 2012
- SPO shot dead by Maoists in Odisha - Jul 29, 2012
- Maoists observe 'martyrs week' in Odisha - Jul 28, 2012
- Suspected Maoists kill villager in Odisha - Aug 21, 2012
- Maoists loot construction material in Orissa - Nov 10, 2009
- Maoists kill BJD worker in Odisha - Jul 08, 2012
- Maoists torch Odisha mobile phone towers' equipment - Dec 17, 2011
- Maoist strike cripples Chhattisgarh, 8 cops injured (Lead) - May 17, 2012
- Maoists blow up panchayat building - Aug 13, 2010
- Maoists blow up BSF vehicle in Odisha, four killed - Feb 10, 2012
Tags: bhubaneswar, construction company, construction machine, construction site, district police, excavator, heavy construction, maoist, maoist guerrillas, maoists, odisha, police officer, pottery village, rebels, road construction equipment, stronghold, torch