Maoists set Rs.600 mn budget to procure arms, explosivesMarch 12th, 2008 - 6:57 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, March 12 (IANS) Maoist rebels, dubbed as the biggest internal security threat by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, have devised a budget of Rs.600 million to procure weapons and explosives for a two-year period, Minister of State for Home Affairs Shri Prakash Jaiswal told the Lok Sabha Wednesday. “An arrested Naxalite (Maoist), in his interrogation by Jharkhand police, revealed that they had made a budget of Rs.60 crore (Rs.600 million) during 2007-2009, allegedly for procurement of weapons and explosives,” Jaiswal said in a written reply to the house.
The minister, however, said no other information was available.
Just a few days ago, the police in Bihar had seized 6,000 kg of gelatine sticks and detonators, reportedly meant for use by Maoists, from a truck in Nawada district and arrested seven people.
In India, the number of violent incidents blamed on the Maoists fell from 1,509 in 2006 to 1,285 until Oct 31, 2007, the minister said. He added that the number of security personnel killed by the rebels, had risen from 157 the previous year to 188 until October 2007.
Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Orissa, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh and West Bengal are some of the states hit by Maoist violence.
- Tax-free, revenue-surplus budget for Andhra Pradesh - Feb 23, 2011
- Child marriages rampant in Odisha, says survey - Aug 17, 2012
- Naxals running arms manufacturing units - Feb 24, 2010
- Men with suspected Maoist links held with explosives - May 06, 2011
- Two Maoists wanted for Jharkhand ex-minister, cop's killings held - Jun 26, 2010
- Maoists procuring arms from across borders: Chidambaram - Apr 08, 2010
- More explosive chemical recovered from Ranchi - Feb 07, 2011
- Maoist arrested, explosives seized - Mar 10, 2011
- Maoists torch vehicles, blast mobile tower in Bihar - Mar 15, 2011
- Four Maoists arrested, cash and explosives seized - Jan 14, 2011
- Five arrested with explosives in Maoist-affected area - Jan 31, 2011
- Government losing its way in Maoist minefield - Apr 24, 2012
- Huge explosives haul made in Jharkhand - Feb 02, 2012
- 'Tripura rehabilitating surrendered extremists' - Mar 06, 2012
- Andhra Maoist arrested in Jharkhand - Aug 09, 2010