Maoists set ablaze construction machine in OrissaJuly 5th, 2011 - 7:05 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, July 5 (IANS) Maoist rebels Tuesday set ablaze a construction machine in Orissa’s Malkangiri district after a contractor resumed road work despite their objection, police said.
About 20-30 armed guerrillas raided the construction site near Malkangiri Potteru village, about 700 km from here, and set the machine on fire.
“The incident took place when no worker was at the site,” District Superintendent of Police Anirudh Singh told IANS.
Police said the rebels earlier threatened the contractor to stop the road work. They were angry after the work was resumed at the site Monday.
The Maoists are active in more than half of Orissa. Malkangiri district is considered one of the strongholds of the rebels.
The guerrillas have been targeting government buildings, roads and bridges in the district apparently to stop the movement of security forces in the area, police said.
- Maoists torch excavator in Odisha - Jul 20, 2012
- Maoists torch construction equipments in Odisha - Jul 10, 2012
- Maoists torch vehicles in Orissa - Dec 10, 2011
- Maoists blow up panchayat building - Aug 13, 2010
- Maoist shutdown hits life in Orissa district - Apr 28, 2011
- Maoists blast Orissa government building - Sep 07, 2010
- Maoists attack company site, torch vehicles - Oct 25, 2011
- Maoists set ablaze mobile tower equipment, truck in Odisha - Dec 06, 2011
- Maoists blow up school to protest Obama visit - Nov 08, 2010
- Maoists torch five vehicles in Jharkhand - Apr 08, 2011
- Maoists blow up panchayat godown in Orissa - Oct 23, 2010
- Woman Maoist killed in Orissa gun fight (Lead) - Apr 24, 2011
- Maoists kill home guard in Odisha ahead of I-Day - Aug 14, 2012
- Maoists, police exchange fire in Orissa - May 14, 2011
- Maoists kill man during strike in Orissa (Lead) - Nov 15, 2010
Tags: anirudh, bhubaneswar, construction machine, construction site, district superintendent, government buildings, guerrillas, maoist, maoist rebels, maoists, objection, orissa, roads and bridges, security forces, strongholds