Maoists release Odisha legislator Hikaka (Second Lead)April 26th, 2012 - 12:56 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, April 26 (IANS) Maoists Thursday released Odisha legislator Jhina Hikaka in the state’s Koraput district after holding him captive for more than a month.
Reporters and photographers surrounded a relieved and healthy looking Hikaka as he came with a group of villagers to a mango garden at Balipeta, over 500 km from here, at about 10.30 a.m.
Emotions ran high when the 37-year-old Biju Janata Dal (BJD) legislator, wearing a green kurta, hugged his wife Kaushalya and seconds after both broke down in tears.
“We’re glad that he is safe and unharmed,” party colleague Baijayant Panda told reporters.
The leftwing extremists, who kidnapped Hikaka from Laxmipur in Koraput March 24, had Wednesday announced that a ‘praja’, people’s, court decided to release him after he apologised to the rebels and the local villagers.
A Maoist leader calling herself ‘Aruna’, in an audio message aired by a local television channel here, had said the decision to release him was taken after he promised to resign from the assembly and the primary membership of the ruling BJD.
- Relief, tears as Maoists release Odisha legislator Hikaka (Third lead, changing dateline) - Apr 26, 2012
- 33 days on, Maoists free Odisha legislator Hikaka (Fourth lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Maoists set free Odisha legislator Jhina Hikaka (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Two kidnappings: Maoists release MLA, hold on to collector (Roundup) - Apr 26, 2012
- Maoists release Odisha legislator Hikaka - Apr 26, 2012
- Maoists to release Hikaka Thursday (Second Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Maoists scale down demand for Hikaka's release (Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Maoists to release Hikaka Thursday: lawyer - Apr 25, 2012
- Maoists to release Hikaka Thursday, says lawyer (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Maoists set Wednesday deadline for Hikaka's release - Apr 15, 2012
- Maoists plan peoples' court to decide fate of Hikaka - Apr 18, 2012
- Maoists say Hikaka will be tried April 25 (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Maoists plan peoples' court to decide fate of Hikaka (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Abducted Odisha cop shot dead by Maoists (Second Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Maoists abduct Odisha MLA - Mar 24, 2012