Maoists observe ‘martyrs week’ in OdishaJuly 28th, 2012 - 7:39 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, July 28 (IANS) The movement of commercial and passenger vehicles was disrupted in parts of Odisha as Maoists Saturday began observing ‘martyrs’ week’ in memory of rebel leaders killed by security forces, official said.
Passengers had a tough time especially in the interior regions of the southern districts of Malkangiri, Koraput, Rayagada, Gajapati and Nabrangpur as jeeps, buses and cars were not running, fearing attacks by the rebels.
“The operators have kept their vehicles off the road for fear of Maoist attacks,” a senior official of the state home department told IANS. Government buses were also not playing in several places.
Security has been beefed up in the region to prevent any untoward incidents, he added. Police patrols have recovered posters and leaflets put up by rebels on public walls, appealing people to join them in a “war” against the government and the system.
More than half of Odisha’s 30 districts have Maoist presence. The southern part of the state is considered their stronghold.
Charu Majumdar, founder of Maoist movement in the country, had died in police custody July 28, 1972. The guerrillas have been observing ‘martyr’s week’ since then.
- Bus services hit in Orissa for Maoist 'Martyrs Week' - Jul 28, 2010
- SPO shot dead by Maoists in Odisha - Jul 29, 2012
- Security up in Orissa ahead of Maoist martyrs week - Jul 27, 2010
- Maoist shutdown against Posco land acquisition - Jun 30, 2011
- Maoists damage cell phone towers in Orissa - Jul 28, 2009
- Maoists kill home guard in Odisha ahead of I-Day - Aug 14, 2012
- Hostage crisis: Maoist bandh hits life in Orissa - Feb 21, 2011
- Maoist shutdown hits parts of Odisha - May 16, 2012
- Maoist shutdown hits road, rail traffic in Orissa (Lead) - Jul 07, 2010
- Maoists kill man during strike in Orissa (Lead) - Nov 15, 2010
- Chhattisgarh tense as Maoist 'Martyrs Week' begins - Jul 28, 2010
- Maoist shutdown hits road traffic in Orissa - Jan 25, 2010
- Maoist shutdown hits life in parts of Orissa - Dec 08, 2009
- Maoists' shutdown call hits life in Chhattisgarh - Jul 30, 2012
- Maoist shutdown hits road traffic in Orissa - Jul 07, 2010
Tags: bhubaneswar, buses, fear, guerrillas, interior regions, jeeps, leaflets, maoist, maoists, martyr, martyrs, odisha, passenger vehicles, police custody, police patrols, public walls, rebel leaders, rebels, security forces, stronghold