‘Maoists may trigger Dantewada-like attacks to avenge Azad’s killing’July 4th, 2010 - 8:15 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, July 4 (IANS) Maoist rebels may trigger Dantewada-style revenge attack in eastern India to avenge the killing of their top leader Cherukuri Rajkumar alias Azad, intelligence reports suggest, said a senior police official Sunday.
Following the intelligence inputs and ahead of the nationwide shutdown called Monday by the Maoists to protest the killing, police stations in all West Bengal districts have been alerted to foil any rebel attack, said Inspector General (Law and Order) Surojit Kar Purkayastha.
Besides, special precautionary measures have been put in place in the three western districts - West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia - which are considered Maoist hotbeds in West Bengal.
“We have alerted all police stations. But maximum security has been taken in the areas of these three districts where Maoists are active,” said Inspector General (Western Range) Zulfikar Hassan.
Azad, spokesperson of the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist, was killed by the police in an alleged exchange of fire in the forests of Adilabad district in Andhra Pradesh Friday.
On April 6, Maoists massacred 76 security personnel in an ambush in Dantewada in Chhattisgarh. In another attack on Tuesday, they killed 27 security personnel in Narayanpur in the state.
- Maoists vow to avenge Azad's death - Jul 04, 2010
- Maoist strike begins in Chhattisgarh - Jul 07, 2010
- Strands of similarity in Azad, Kishenji killings - Nov 26, 2011
- States on high alert after Kishanji killing (Roundup) - Nov 25, 2011
- Maoists call for 48-hour 'all India shutdown' over Azad's death - Jul 04, 2010
- Death of Andhra Maoist leader Rajkumar, a blow to Maoist movement - Jul 03, 2010
- Landmines found in Bengal's West Midnapore - Jun 23, 2011
- Maoists 'all India shutdown' begins amid tight security - Jul 07, 2010
- Top Maoist leader Azad killed in Andhra Pradesh (Second Lead) - Jul 02, 2010
- Maoist strike hits life, iron ore shipment in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Jul 07, 2010
- Maoists blow up school building in Orissa - Jul 06, 2010
- Chhattisgarh on high alert after Kishanji's killing - Nov 25, 2011
- Top Maoist leader Azad gunned down in Andhra Pradesh (Third Lead) - Jul 02, 2010
- Maoists 'all India shutdown' hits normal life - Jul 07, 2010
- Maoist leaders gunned down in Andhra Pradesh - Jul 02, 2010
Tags: andhra pradesh, bankura, chhattisgarh, communist party of india, eastern india, hotbeds, intelligence reports, maoist, maoist rebels, maoists, maximum security, midnapore, police official, police stations, precautionary measures, purulia, rebel attack, revenge attack, security personnel, west bengal