Maoists’ material for rocket launchers seized in Raipur (Lead)March 5th, 2012 - 11:54 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, March 5 (IANS) Around 80 boxes packed with raw material for making rocket launchers and mortars, suspected to be meant for use by Maoists, were recovered from a warehouse in a busy part of the Chhattisgarh capital, police said Monday.
Following the seizure Sunday night, the police have put several people under the scanner for operating a well-established network for the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist).
A joint team of three states - Chhattisgarh, Andhra Pradesh and West Bengal - were stunned Sunday night when they raided a godown of Pal Goods Transport in Raipur and seized 79 boxes that were packed with raw materials for making rocket launchers and mortars.
“The raid was carried out based on the vital information we got from a few senior Maoists held outside the state recently. When we were informed by West Bengal police that Maoists had a supply route of rocket launchers and mortars materials to the restive Bastar region from Kolkata via Raipur, I didn’t believe it at first. But the information proved to be a hundred percent correct when we stormed into the Pal Goods Transport godown Sunday night,” a senior officer here at police headquarters, told IANS.
Senior Superintendent of Police (Raipur), Dipanshu Kabra, said: “There is no doubt that the seized material was meant for the Maoists. It is surprising that such hardware equipment for rocket launchers and mortars was kept stored in a busy area of Raipur’s, Amanaka.”
He refused to give details about any arrests being made, saying: “Several people based at several locations and several states are under the scanner. Since the investigation is at a crucial stage, we can’t share much with the media. But in a few days, we will come out with details.”
“The material was for making deadly weapons by Maoists such as rocket launchers and mortars, the recovery of such materials was possible only because of better co-ordination among neighbouring states,” Ramniwas, state’s additional director general of police (Maoist operation), told reporters late Monday evening.
He termed the seizure “a major success for Chhattisgarh police”, and said that seized materials would be forensically examined.
- Maoists' material for rocket launchers seized in Raipur - Mar 05, 2012
- Chhattisgarh fears more red strikes - Aug 20, 2011
- 17 Maoists killed in Chhattisgarh - Jun 29, 2012
- Incriminating documents, cash seized from arrested Maoists - Mar 03, 2012
- Four killed as Chhattisgarh Congress chief's convoy ambushed - Jul 21, 2011
- Maoists kill six CISF troopers, driver in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Chhattisgarh had intelligence on Maoists' abduction plan - Feb 17, 2011
- Maoists attack Chhattisgarh minister's house, kill guard (Lead) - May 17, 2012
- Maoists attack Chhattisgarh minister's house, kill guard - May 17, 2012
- Maoists kill six cops in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Oct 21, 2011
- Rocket launchers found in Jharkhand Maoist den - Jun 07, 2011
- Maoists kill 2 BJP workers, driver in Chhattisgarh - Apr 20, 2012
- 78 Chhattisgarh cops evade postings in Maoist areas - Sep 25, 2010
- 500 army men in Chhattisgarh's red zone - for training - Jun 02, 2011
- Two Maoists killed Chhattisgarh gunbattle (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh, capital police, communist party of india, CPI, deadly weapons, godown, goods transport, hardware equipment, kabra, kolkata, maoist, maoists, mortars, no doubt, ordination, police headquarters, raw material, raw materials, three states, west bengal police