Maoists kill two CISF men at Chhattisgarh mining siteNovember 16th, 2011 - 11:46 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Nov 16 (IANS) Two Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) troopers were killed Wednesday in a gunbattle with Maoists near a mine in Chhattisgarh’s Dantewada district, an official said.
The Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) militants fought a gun battle with CISF at a key iron ore mining site in Bailadila hills.
“Armed rebels attacked a two-member squad of the CISF near Deposit-5 at Bacheli mining complex. The gun battle went on for about twenty minutes and resulted in the killing of a head constable and a constable,” Ankit Garg, superintendent of police Dantewada district, told IANS.
Garg said that Maoists took away one self-loading rifle (SLR) and an Insas rifle of the killed CISF men.
The attack site is located some 420 km south of state capital Raipur. The Bailadila hills is where the country’s largest iron ore mining company in public sector, NMDC Ltd, has several mines.
Additional forces were rushed to the attack site which is located at a hilltop called Akash Nagar area. The bodies of the CISF men were brought to NMDC hospital at Bacheli town.
NMDC mining facilities faced several attacks by leftist rebels in recent years in Dantewada district. Maoists had in February 2006 stormed the NMDC complex in Bailadila hills area, killing eight CISF men and looting some 20 tonnes of explosives kept to blast rocks for iron ore mining.
- Terror grips NMDC miners a day after Maoist attack - May 15, 2012
- Maoists kill six CISF troopers, driver in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Day after blast, terror stalks Chhattisgarh miners - Jun 27, 2011
- Maoists' shutdown hits NMDC iron ore transportation - Jul 08, 2011
- Chhattisgarh iron ore mines security raised after Maoist strike(Lead) - Oct 26, 2009
- NMDC to open new iron ore mine in Chhattisgarh - Jul 29, 2011
- Maoists torch road building vehicles - Oct 18, 2010
- Railways suffer loss in Chhattisgarh as protest continues - Jan 20, 2012
- Maoists open fire at mining facility in Chhattisgarh - Jul 13, 2010
- Maoist shutdown hits iron ore shipment in Chhattisgarh - May 22, 2011
- Strike hits mining in Chhattisgarh - Feb 28, 2012
- Chhattisgarh legislator threatens to stop NMDC mining - Jan 29, 2012
- NMDC resumes full production after Maoist attack - Jul 13, 2010
- NMDC resumes iron shipment from Chhattisgarh - Jan 23, 2012
- National Mineral Development Corp continues work despite Maoist attack - Oct 26, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,