Maoists kill three policemen in West BengalJune 3rd, 2009 - 5:21 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 3 (IANS) Three policemen were shot dead Wednesday by suspected Maoist rebels in West Bengal’s Bankura district, police said.
The policemen, travelling in a patrol van, were fired at from close range at Pirolgari crossing in Sarenga by assailants who were riding in an auto rickshaw.
The dead included an assistant sub-inspector.
“Two other policemen have been injured,” said Bankura Superintendent of Police Vishal Garg.
A police picket has been posted in the area while senior officers rushed to the spot. The police have started combing operation to nab the culprits, he added.
The Maoists are known to be active in the state’s three western districts of Bankura, West Midnapore and Purulia.
- Three bodies recovered in West Bengal - May 21, 2010
- Pro-Maoist group member killed in West Bengal - Jun 28, 2010
- Maoists shoot at Class 10 student in West Bengal - Oct 24, 2010
- Maoists kill CPI-M member in West Bengal - Jun 06, 2010
- Pro-Maoist activist, CPI-M worker killed in West Bengal (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Suspected Maoist linkman arrested - Aug 17, 2010
- Pro-Maoist shutdown hits life of three Bengal districts - Jan 11, 2011
- Partial response to shutdown call in West Bengal - Dec 28, 2010
- Second day of pro-Maoist group's shutdown peaceful - Nov 17, 2010
- One injured in Maoist firing in Bengal - Nov 07, 2011
- Three Maoists arrested in police officer's killing - Sep 01, 2010
- Maoist killed in Junglemahal - Feb 05, 2012
- Maoists kill CPI-M activist in West Bengal - Jun 21, 2010
- Maoist leader arrested for Bengal policeman's murder - Nov 25, 2010
- Maoist stir hits life in some West Bengal areas - Jul 01, 2010