Maoists kill four guards of power plant firmApril 6th, 2009 - 12:46 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, April 6 (IANS) Maoist rebels have killed four security guards of a proposed power plant of the Abhijeet group in Jharkhand’s Latehar district, police said Monday.
Around 20-25 guerrillas of the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) raided the proposed power plant situated in Chakla village in Latehar, some 140 km from Ranchi, at around 11.30 p.m. Sunday and opened fire on the security guards posted there, a police official said.
Three guards died on the spot and one died on the way to hospital. One injured guard has been referred to the Rajendra Institute of Medical Science here for treatment.
According to informed sources, Maoist rebels had demanded a levy of Rs.2 million from the company. The Abhijeet group had apparently refused to pay the amount and guerrillas had even beaten up security guards of the firm a month ago.
“We had sought security from the police informing them about the levy demand. The temporary police picket situated near the proposed site was also withdrawn after the Lok Sabha elections were announced. The withdrawal of the police picket encouraged Maoist rebels to attack the company,” an official of Abhijeet group told IANS.
Police have launched operations to nab the rebels involved in the incident.
The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) condemned the attack and demanded the removal of Governor Syed Sibte Razi.
“During President’s Rule, such incidents are taking place in the state one after another. The central government should recall the governor to ensure free and fair election in the state,” said state BJP president Raghubar Das.
- Maoists kill four security guards in Jharkhand - Apr 06, 2009
- Maoists kill four in Jharkhand (Lead) - Apr 06, 2009
- Compensation for dead villagers termed Maoist rebels - May 21, 2009
- Maoists blast school, attack police station in Jharkhand - Dec 06, 2011
- One killed in Jharkhand Maoist attack - Feb 23, 2012
- Guerrillas loot weapons from Kashmir security picket - May 25, 2012
- Maoists may undertake major offensive in Jharkhand: Police - Feb 12, 2012
- BJP leader, labourer killed by Maoists (Lead) - Aug 05, 2010
- Shun violence, Jharkhand governor tells Maoists - Jan 26, 2012
- Five Maoists killed in Jharkhand - Mar 15, 2011
- BJP demands probe in Razi's role during central rule in Jharkhand - Jul 20, 2009
- Nine Maoists killed in Jharkhand - Jan 28, 2011
- Suspected Maoists abduct two contractors in Jharkhand - Feb 08, 2011
- Maoists release abducted labourers in Jharkhand - Feb 21, 2012
- Maoists kill two in Jharkhand - Mar 24, 2011