Maoists kill 26 in deadly Chattisgarh attack (Third Lead)June 30th, 2010 - 12:35 am ICT by IANS
Raipur, June 29 (IANS) In yet another daring and deadly attack, Maoists killed 26 paramilitary troopers Tuesday in Chhattisgarh’s restive Bastar region, officials said.
About a dozen personnel of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) were also injured in the attack in Narayanpur district, state Home minister Nankiram Kanwar said.
“A CRPF contingent of over 70 men was ambushed by Maoists in a forested stretch in Narayanpur,” an official at the police headquarters here told IANS.
He said that dozens of Maoists had positioned themselves on the hill tops and opened fire on the security personnel who were on foot. The slain troopers belonged to 39th battalion of the CRPF.
Police sources said the attack took place at around 3.30 p.m. when a joint team of the CRPF and the Special Task Force (STF) of the state police were on their way for a search operation.
The rebels ambushed the group, leading to a fierce gunfight that lasted for over three hours. An assistant commandant and 25 jawans were killed. The incident took place just three kilometers from a CRPF camp under some 400 km south of state capital Raipur.
In New Delhi, Home Secretary G.K. Pillai told reporters that the Maoists had attacked a “road opening party” of the CRPF.
He said all others in the CRPF party had been accounted for and had returned to their camp.
The bodies of the slain troopers are being brought to Narayanpur town, the district headquarters.
“The injured are being shifted to the district hospital and the Bastar district hospital,” said Director General of Police Vishwa Ranjan.
Though additional reinforcements were rushed to the spot, rescue and evacuation of the injured security personnel could take time as movement of security personnel is difficult after sunset in view of the possibility of further attacks by the Maoists.
Some of the injured have been airlifted to the district hospital while a team of doctors have been stationed at Maharani Hospital at Jagdalpur to provide immediate medical attention.
The 40,000 sq km Bastar region that is made up of five districts - Narayanpur, Bastar, Kanker, Bijapur and Dantewada - is the nerve centre of the Maoists since the late 1980s.
Rebels carried out the biggest ever attack on securitymen April 6 and massacred 76 CRPF men in a forested hamlet in Dantewada district.
- Maoists kill 26 security personnel in deadly Chhattisgarh attack (Night Lead) - Jun 30, 2010
- Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- 26 troopers killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Maoists kill 15 CRPF men in Chhatisgarh (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Security forces kill 17 Maoists (Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Maoist protest week hits life in Chhattisgarh interiors - Jul 04, 2011
- Maoists blow up CRPF vehicle, kill trooper in Chhattisgarh - Aug 06, 2012
- Maoists attack police station in Chhattisgarh - Jun 13, 2011
- Maoist 'protest week' hits life in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- Maoists attack Chhattisgarh police station, no casualty (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Mine blast injures CRPF men, Maoists raid CPI leader's house (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- 10 killed as Maoists trap police party in ambush (Third Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Chhattisgarh tense after Maoist massacre (Second Lead) - Jun 30, 2010
- Maoists kill five security men in Chhattisgarh (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2010