Maoists injured in Chhattisgarh gunfightApril 2nd, 2012 - 8:51 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, April 2 (IANS) Several Maoists were injured in a lengthy gunfight with paramilitary forces in the early morning hours Monday in a remote jungle area in Chhattisgarh’s Bastar region, police said.
The gunfight broke out past midnight and ended after four hours when armed Maoists opened fire on a Border Security Force (BSF) camp at Bhanupratapur area in Kanker district, some 300 km from state capital Raipur.
“The gunfight went on for about four hours and the jawans at the BSF’s 41 battalion camp retaliated strongly. Several Maoists received bullet wounds and their colleagues dragged the bodies deep into the forest,” sources here at the police headquarters told IANS.
The source added that no BSF personnel were injured in the attack.
Dozens of BSF men have begun search operations in the area in association with the state policemen to hunt down attackers.
Kanker is one of the seven districts of a 40,000 sq km mineral rich Bastar region where Maoists run a parallel government in the interiors since late 1980s.
- Two BSF troopers injured by Maoists - Sep 05, 2010
- CRPF trooper killed in Maoist attack - Sep 18, 2011
- Maoists kill five security men in Chhattisgarh (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- Five policemen killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attacks - Jun 27, 2011
- Maoists kill six cops in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Oct 21, 2011
- Three armed Maoists held in Chhattisgarh - Mar 05, 2011
- Maoists kill civilian on spying charge - Apr 09, 2012
- Four Maoists held in Chhattisgarh - Nov 25, 2010
- Two Maoists held in Chhattisgarh - Jan 13, 2012
- General V.K. Singh visits Maoist heartland - Apr 14, 2012
- Two Maoists killed in Chhattisgarh gun battle - Jan 05, 2011
- Maoists kill CRPF trooper in Chhattisgarh - Mar 26, 2012
- Chhattisgarh on high alert after Kishanji's killing - Nov 25, 2011
- Maoists ambush security patrol in Chhattisgarh, kill five (Night Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- Live bombs recovered in Chhattisgarh - Jun 27, 2011