Maoists in Jharkhand term assured employment scheme ‘anti labour’November 24th, 2008 - 2:05 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Nov 24 (IANS) Maoist rebels in Jharkhand have attacked the National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme, which assures people in rural areas 100 days of paid work in a year, as ‘anti labourer’ and demanded that work be available round the year.The proscribed Communist Party of India-Maoist has pasted posters in some parts of the state, claiming the scheme will not help labourers and questioning why the government has restricted it to 100 days instead of ensuring it covers all 365 days in a year.
The rebels claim that many such schemes have been launched by the government but they have only helped the government and bureaucracy, not the labourers.
Police have seized such posters in East Singhbhum district of the state.
The Maoist’s campaign against the scheme follows the large scale corruption in its implementation in the state.
A senior police official involved in anti-Maoist operations told IANS: “Maoists are trying to garner support from the villagers by raising the issue of corruption in the implementation of the scheme in the state”.
He admitted that officials involved in scheme are swindling money and the scheme is not helping the rural poor who are intended to be the beneficiaries.
- Rural job workers to get cash in Maoist-hit areas: Ramesh - Dec 03, 2011
- Jharkhand spent only 38 percent of job scheme funds - Dec 14, 2011
- Maoists may undertake major offensive in Jharkhand: Police - Feb 12, 2012
- Maoists' escape: Judicial custody for arrested jailer, wardens - Jan 18, 2011
- Odisha talks halted as Maoists seize legislator (Roundup) - Mar 24, 2012
- 'Disarming SPOs will hit Chhattisgarh's anti-Maoist drive' (Lead) - Jul 07, 2011
- Bihar assembly committee to probe 'health scam' - Aug 09, 2012
- 'Disarming SPOs will hit Chhattisgarh's anti-Maoist drive' - Jul 07, 2011
- Maoists kill Congress leader in Jharkhand - Mar 31, 2010
- Volunteers to ensure better delivery of welfare in Maoist areas - Jan 15, 2012
- Maoist-affected states can hire private choppers - Aug 23, 2011
- Odisha talks halted as Maoists seize legislator (Intro Roundup) - Mar 24, 2012
- Odisha hostage crisis: Maoist deadline ends Tuesday - Apr 10, 2012
- PM concerned over delayed NREGA wages, Sonia suggests reforms (second lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Hostage crisis: Odisha yet to decide on fresh demands (Lead) - Apr 10, 2012