‘Maoists have made inroads in northeast’October 20th, 2011 - 12:37 am ICT by IANS
Shillong, Oct 19 (IANS) Joint Intelligence Committee Chief Ajit Lal Wednesday said the Maoists have have made inroads in the strife-torn northeastern region but there is no evidence of linkages between them and the outlawed United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA).
“There is no evidence of linkages between the CPI-Maoists and the ULFA, but there are evidence of their linkages with the People’s Liberation Army (a Manipur-based secessionist rebel group) and the Upper Assam Leading Committee of CPI (Maoist),” Lal said.
Speaking at the two-day workshop on “Development Paradigms in the Northeast” at the NEC Auditorium, the JIC Chief said the linkages between the northeast insurgents and the Maoists have come to notice.
He said the recent arrest again of five people from Lohit district of Arunachal Pradesh for suspected links with Maoists and involvement of CPI (Maoist) cadres in snatching arms from police personnel in Ambikapur area in Assam’s Tinsukia district indicated the presence of Maoist activities in the region.
“Disclosures made by Aditya Bora, the key leader of Upper Assam Leading Committee of Maoists had revealed the organisational structure of the Maoists in Assam,” Lal said.
Bora, a former ULFA member was arrested in February this year by security forces in Jharkhand.
Lal said the “strategic alliance” has further quantified the existing understanding between the northeast insurgents groups and the Maoists especially after the recent disclosures of arrested PLA external affairs secretary - N. Dileep Singh and his deputy Arun Kumar Singh Salam in Delhi.
- Aware of Maoists in northeast: Pallam Raju - Nov 02, 2011
- ULFA's links with Maoists exposed - Mar 05, 2011
- Orissa police arrest three Maoists - Feb 13, 2011
- Assam ups security after ULFA's R-Day boycott call - Jan 23, 2012
- Five anti-talk ULFA cadres nabbed - Apr 21, 2012
- Assam ties up with Arunachal to counter Maoist menace - May 10, 2012
- Initiate talks with Maoists, ULFA: Bardhan - Jul 13, 2010
- ULFA committed to peace talks with Centre - Apr 19, 2011
- High security in Assam after ULFA messages intercepted - Sep 10, 2012
- Suspected Manipuri militant arrested in Kolkata - Feb 04, 2012
- ULFA attempt to disrupt Manmohan's visit foiled - Apr 18, 2012
- Evidence of Maoist links with northeast insurgents: Pillai - Jun 05, 2010
- All northeast militants have a nexus with Maoists: Gogoi - May 11, 2012
- ULFA faction lends moral support to Maoists - May 10, 2012
- Five Manipuri militants nabbed in Assam - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: ajit, arun kumar, committee chief, development paradigms, dileep, joint intelligence committee, lal, liberation army, maoist, maoists, nec auditorium, northeastern region, organisational structure, rebel group, secessionist, shillong, tinsukia, ulfa, united liberation front, upper assam