Maoists gun down Hindu leader in Orissa’s Kandhamal districtMarch 19th, 2009 - 2:09 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, March 19 (IANS) Armed Maoists have gunned down a Hindu leader in Orissa’s Kandhamal district, which witnessed communal violence last year after the killing of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati, police said Thursday.
“About 15 to 20 Maoists killed Prabhat Panigrahi in Rudiguma village Wednesday night,” District Superintendent of Police S. Praveen Kumar told IANS.
Panigrahi was the block head of the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) and was arrested for his involvement in the August-September 2008 communal riots. He had been released on bail in March.
“Policemen have been trying to reach the spot but they are facing difficulty because the rebels have blocked roads by felling trees,” Kumar said.
The Kandhamal district, about 200 km from here, witnessed widespread communal violence after the murder of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati and four of his aides at his ashram on Aug 23, 2008.
At least 38 people were killed in the state and more than 25,000 Christians were forced to flee their homes after their houses were attacked by rampaging mobs.
- 10 kg land mine recovered in Kandhamal - Oct 29, 2011
- Maoists gun down Hindu leader in Orissa's Kandhamal district (Lead) - Mar 19, 2009
- Kandhamal riots: Jail term for 13 - May 18, 2011
- Christmas celebrations pass off peacefully in Orissa - Dec 25, 2010
- Security tightened in Orissa for peaceful Christmas - Dec 24, 2010
- Orissa gives subsidised rice to riots victims - Oct 25, 2010
- Orissa court seeks report on Hindu leader's murder - Apr 20, 2011
- Eight get jail terms for Kandhamal violence - Nov 26, 2010
- BJP lawmaker gets seven-year jail for Kandhamal murder - Jun 29, 2010
- 18 acquitted in Kandhamal riot cases - Jan 29, 2011
- Kandhamal riots case: Man gets three-year jail term - Sep 29, 2010
- Two get six-year jail in Kandhamal riots case - Jun 30, 2010
- Suspected Maoists blow up ambulance, three dead - Nov 28, 2010
- Court records statement of nun raped in Kandhamal clashes - Nov 03, 2010
- Kandhamal riots could have been avoided: Ex-minister - Mar 09, 2011