Maoists blow up new police station in Chhattisgarh (Lead)December 27th, 2011 - 10:31 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Dec 27 (IANS) About 50 armed Maoists blew up a two-storeyed police station under-construction in Chhattisgarh’s restive Bastar region Tuesday, police said.
“Maoists stormed into the building at Geedam town, hardly 10 km from Dantewada town and set high-powered explosives and blew it up,” Dantewada Superintendent of Police Ankit Garg told IANS over the phone.
The two-storeyed structure was almost complete but was not handed over to the police.
“It was a massive blast and the building was mostly blown up,” Garg said. Police have launched a massive search operation to apprehend the rebels but no arrest has been made, he added.
The building was barely one km away from the Geedam police station but policemen posted at the old building had not reached the demolished site even after three hours of the blast.
Meanwhile, reports from Bijapur district say that Maoists abducted a tribal youth and killed a village sarpanch in the Kutru area.
The sarpanch was reportedly killed on charges being a police spy.
Dantewada along with Bijapur, Bastar, Narayanpur and Kanker districts forms a 40,000 sq km mineral-rich forested area where Maoists have been since late 1980s running a parallel administration in the interior areas.
- Maoists blow up police station in Chhattisgarh - Dec 27, 2011
- Chhattisgarh police fail to track down police station attackers - Dec 28, 2011
- Dantewada police chief shifted after Maoist attack - Dec 29, 2011
- Maoists kill villager, blast Chitrakot police post (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Two deadly attacks in Chhatttisgarh, 15 cops killed (Third Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Maoists abduct two villagers - Jan 10, 2012
- Maoists blast three bridges in Chhattisgarh - Dec 23, 2010
- 10 Chhattisgarh cops killed in Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Landmines recovered in Chhattisgarh - Apr 28, 2011
- Maoists blast in tourist destination Chitrakot - Feb 07, 2011
- Three armed Maoists held in Chhattisgarh - Mar 05, 2011
- Maoists blast Chitrakot police post, disrupt Bastar life (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Bombs found in Chhattisgarh's Maoist heartland - Jan 01, 2012
- Maoist blast government office in Chhattisgarh - Aug 16, 2010
- 10 killed as Maoists trap police party in ambush (Third Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
Tags: 1980s, abducted, ankit, blow up, explosives, forested area, garg, interior areas, kanker, maoists, massive blast, massive search operation, new police station, police spy, policemen, rebels, superintendent, tribal youth