Maoists block key highway to protest Kishenji killingNovember 28th, 2011 - 10:35 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Nov 28 (IANS) Cadres of the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) Monday blocked a key national highway in Chhattisgarh’s restive Bastar region to protest the killing of one of their top leaders, Kishenji.
“Maoists placed heavy wooden logs across the road in Bijapur district in the early hours that halted vehicular traffic. Chhattisgarh state policemen backed by some local people were trying to clear the roads when the last report came in around 6.30 in the evening,” a senior official at the police headquarters here said.
Police have found a few pamphlets at the road blockade site in which the rebels claimed they would intensify attacks in the entire 40,000 sq km area of Bastar region on forces, government officials and politicians to take revenge for the killing of Mallojula Koteshwar Rao alias Kishenji, 55, in a shootout with police in West Bengal Nov 24.
- Chhattisgarh on high alert after Kishanji's killing - Nov 25, 2011
- States on high alert after Kishanji killing (Roundup) - Nov 25, 2011
- 50kg bomb recovered in Chhattisgarh - Dec 03, 2011
- Maoists oppose Chhattisgarh's foundation anniversary - Oct 28, 2011
- Maoists block highway, damage rail track in Chhattisgarh - Dec 05, 2011
- Tribal killed by Maoists - Aug 11, 2011
- Maoist shutdown hits life in Chhattisgarh - Dec 04, 2010
- Maoists kill six cops in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Oct 21, 2011
- Maoist protest week hits life in Chhattisgarh interiors - Jul 04, 2011
- Maoist strike begins in Chhattisgarh - Jul 07, 2010
- Seven Maoists arrested in Chhattisgarh - Jan 06, 2011
- Maoist strike hits life in interior Chhattisgarh - Jul 01, 2010
- Maoists torture and kill two cops at public court - Feb 26, 2012
- Two killed in Chhattisgarh on Maoist stir's first day (Lead) - May 21, 2011
- After attack, Chhattisgarh hunts for Maoists - Oct 22, 2011
Tags: alias, cadres, chhattisgarh, communist party of india, CPI, government officials, maoist, maoists, pamphlets, police headquarters, politicians, rebels, revenge, road blockade, state policemen, vehicular traffic, west bengal, wooden logs