Maoists attack policemen, blow rail tracks in Jharkhand (Lead)June 27th, 2012 - 3:45 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, June 27 (IANS) Launching multiple attacks Tuesday night and early Wednesday, Maoists ambushed a police bus, blew up railway properties and a bridge at three different places in Jharkhand, police here said.
A policeman was killed and 12 others were injured when Maoist guerrillas ambushed their patrolling bus Tuesday night near the Topchachi police station of Dhanbad district, around 210 km from here.
All the injured were rushed to a nearby hospital where two were referred to the Apollo Hospital in Ranchi, a police spokesperson told IANS.
In another attack around 4.30 a.m. Wednesday, tracks were blown up and an engine was set on fire by Maoists at the Hehegara railway station in Latehar district, over 100 km from here, police said.
Railway tracks were also blown up early Wednesday between Taitulmuri and Nisitpur railway stations falling under the Dhanbad railway division, affecting regular services of over a dozen trains. Work has been started to restore the tracks, a railway official said.
In yet another attack early Wednesday, Maoists blew up a bridge near Chhatapur village in Giridih district, around 185 km from here. The bridge connects Giridih with Dhanbad.
The rebels have called a shutdown Wednesday in five states to protest the conviction of five Maoist guerrillas by a court in Uttar Pradesh. They are also pushing the government to stop an anti-Maoist operation popularly known as ‘Operation Greenhunt.’
The shutdown has affected traffic and mining activities in the mineral-rich state.
- Maoists attack policemen, blast rail tracks in Jharkhand - Jun 27, 2012
- Suspected Maoists kill coal mine officials in Jharkhand (Lead) - Oct 12, 2009
- Maoists blast railway station, tracks in Jharkhand - Jul 08, 2010
- Maoists blow up railway station, tracks in Jharkhand (Lead) - Jul 08, 2010
- Maoists blast tracks, torch vehicles, in Jharkhand - Dec 04, 2011
- Cop killed as Maoists blast railway station, tracks (Second Lead) - Jul 08, 2010
- Maoists again blow up rail track in Jharkhand - Dec 05, 2011
- Maoists blast rail tracks, kill guard in Jharkhand (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Maoists blow up rail tracks in Jharkhand - Sep 13, 2010
- Maoist blow up railway tracks in Jharkhand - Feb 07, 2011
- Maoists blast school, attack police station in Jharkhand - Dec 06, 2011
- Maoists torch four trucks, blast bridge in Jharkhand - Oct 12, 2009
- Maoists kill three, including cop, on day two of strike (Roundup) - Jul 09, 2010
- Maoists blast rail tracks in Bihar, Jharkhand (Lead) - Feb 09, 2010
- Maoists attack police station in Jharkhand - Aug 26, 2010
Tags: apollo hospital, conviction, different places, maoist, maoist guerrillas, maoists, nearby hospital, patrolling, police bus, police spokesperson, police station, policeman, policemen, railway division, railway official, railway properties, railway station, railway stations, rebels, tuesday night