Maoists attack police station in ChhattisgarhJune 13th, 2011 - 12:41 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, June 13 (IANS) A gunbattle broke out in Chhattisgarh’s restive Bastar region Monday morning after Maoists opened fire at a police station in Dantewada district, the fourth attack since June 9.
As many as 18 policemen have been killed in three separate Maoists attacks since June 9.
The gunbattle began when armed rebels fired several shots at a police station based at Bhejji village, some 500 km south of capital Raipur, and the policemen retaliated.
The Bhejji Police Station complex also has a camp of a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) battalion that was attacked by Maoists Saturday in which three troopers were killed and three others injured.
“The gunbattle has been on since 9 a.m. We have responded very strongly but can’t say what is the exact situation there,” sources here at the police headquarters told IANS around 11 a.m.
Maoists had carried out double attacks in the Bastar region June 9. Five policemen were gunned down in Narayanpur district June 9 morning. They struck again, killing 10 policemen around midnight in Dantewada.
Maoist attacks in the state have surged in the past weeks as rebels killed nine policemen in an ambush May 23 on the Chhattisgarh-Orissa border along Raipur district.
- Maoists attack Chhattisgarh police station, no casualty (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011
- Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- After attack, Chhattisgarh hunts for Maoists - Oct 22, 2011
- Maoists kill two cops in Chhattisgarh attack (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- 10 Chhattisgarh cops killed in Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Maoists kill six cops in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Oct 21, 2011
- Maoists kill three policemen in Chhattisgarh - Mar 14, 2011
- Three cops, two civilians killed in Maoist violence - Jun 24, 2010
- Maoists kill five Chhattisgarh policemen, loot weapons (Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- Two deadly attacks in Chhatttisgarh, 15 cops killed (Third Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Maoists blow up new police station in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Six held in raids at Maoists hideout - Mar 19, 2011
- Chhattisgarh Maoists step up attacks to taunt army, say experts - Jun 11, 2011
- 10 killed as Maoists trap police party in ambush (Third Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
Tags: ambush, attack police, battalion, chhattisgarh raipur, crpf, exact situation, gunbattle, maoist, maoists, monday morning, orissa, police force, police headquarters, police station, policemen, rebels, reserve police