Maoists attack police chopper in Chhattisgarh, one killedMay 15th, 2009 - 8:28 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, May 15 (IANS) Maoist guerrillas opened fire on a police helicopter as it was about to take off in Chhattisgarh’s restive Bastar region Friday, killing a policeman and injuring another, officials said.
The incident took place in a heavily forested location under Kistaram police station in Dantewada district, some 500 km south of capital Raipur.
“The four-seater police chopper was about to take off, when the rebels fired on two policemen of the District Force (DF) who were on the ground,” Pawan Deo, deputy inspector general at the police headquarters, told IANS. The killed policeman was identified as Laxmi Narayan Dhruv. The injured cop was taken to hospital in a critical condition, Deo added.
Police sources said the chopper was damaged partially as it had received at least two gun shots, but it managed to take off and landed in the evening at Jagdalpur town in Bastar region, some 200 km from the attack site.
The helicopter belongs to a private company but had been hired by the police department for anti-Maoist operations. The police had sent it to a Maoist stronghold for stocking of rations for the local policemen and bringing back a few ailing cops to urban areas for treatment.
- After attack, Chhattisgarh hunts for Maoists - Oct 22, 2011
- Maoists kill six cops in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Oct 21, 2011
- Maoists kill five security men in Chhattisgarh (Second Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Five policemen killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attacks - Jun 27, 2011
- Maoists ambush security patrol in Chhattisgarh, kill five (Night Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- 25 cops, prisoners injured in Chhattisgarh blast (Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Maoist strike cripples Chhattisgarh, 8 cops injured (Lead) - May 17, 2012
- Three CRPF men killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attack (Lead) - Jun 11, 2011
- Cop killed, 24 others injured in Chhattisgarh blast (Second Lead) - Jun 02, 2012
- Chhattisgarh on alert as Maoists mark anniversary - Sep 21, 2011
- 10 Chhattisgarh cops killed in Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Maoists kill two cops in Chhattisgarh attack (Lead) - Sep 13, 2010
- Two deadly attacks in Chhatttisgarh, 15 cops killed (Third Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Maoists attack Chhattisgarh police station, no casualty (Lead) - Jun 13, 2011