Maoists’ armed struggle unacceptable: ChidambaramJanuary 19th, 2009 - 10:37 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Jan 19 (IANS) The armed struggle of Maoists is “unacceptable” and the government is determined to “squarely, boldly, firmly and decisively” deal with the Left wing extremism, Union Home Minister P. Chidambaram declared Monday after a high-level meeting here.After the meeting held to assess the Maoist situation in the state, Chidambaram said: “Maoists believe in armed struggle and so-called liberation. This is unacceptable in a democratic republican system.”
“Squarely, boldly, firmly and decisively we have to deal with Left wing extremism. There will be some damage to civilian lives during confrontation, but we have to minimize it,” the minister told newsmen, emerging from a meeting.
Chief Minister Raman Singh, state Home Minister Nankiram Kanwar, state police chief Vishawa Ranjan, Chief Secretary P. Joy Oommen and several key persons of para-military forces engaged in the anti-Maoist fight in the state attended the meet.
Chidambaram reached capital Raipur Monday evening. He will spend the night at Raj Bhavan and leave for New Delhi Tuesday morning.
- Left-wing extremism will be put down firmly: Chidambaram (Lead) - Jan 19, 2009
- Chidambaram holds security review meet in Chhattisgarh - Jun 02, 2010
- Maoist violence down, says Chidambaram - Jun 14, 2011
- Chhattisgarh slows down anti-Maoist drive till Menon's release - Apr 23, 2012
- Maoist threat: Chhattisgarh reviews security - Oct 06, 2010
- Chhattisgarh peace process with Maoists hangs in balance - Jun 06, 2012
- Chidambaram visits Jharkhand, Odisha to review Maoist operations - Nov 09, 2011
- Chidambaram condemns companies for paying Maoists - Nov 15, 2011
- 96 foreigners living illegally in Chhattisgarh - Mar 08, 2011
- Chhattisgarh to absorb SPOs in police - Jul 22, 2011
- 10 killed as Maoists ambush police party (Second Lead) - Aug 20, 2011
- Maoist-affected states can hire private choppers - Aug 23, 2011
- Maoists abduct Chhattisgarh collector, kill two guards (Third Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Chhattisgarh arrests 66 poachers - Dec 24, 2011
- Chidambaram reviews Chhattisgarh's anti-Maoist strategy - Nov 15, 2011