Maoist woman squad member surrendersAugust 27th, 2010 - 10:33 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 27 (IANS) A woman squad member of the Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) active in West Bengal’s West Midnapore district surrendered Friday, the second Leftwing rebel to do so in as many days, police said.
Sobha Mandi is the second Maoist cadre and the first woman in the state to surrender after the state government put in place its revamped surrender policy.
Shobhan Karak alias Bijoy was the first rebel to lay down arms by responding to the rehabilitation package of the government. West Midnapore Superintendent of Police Manoj Verma said: “Sobha Mandi surrendered this evening (Friday) around 7 p.m. in my office in Midnapore town.”
Shobha Mandi, alias Uma, alias Shikha, 23, was a Maoist area commander operating in Jhargram and turned a fugitive four months ago. A few days back she sent a communication to police expressing her wish to surrender.
“The Maoists have committed the same injustices against which they claimed they were fighting. So I have decided to surrender and get back to normal life,” said Sobha, who had commanded a squad of 20-30 members after being recruited into the rebel ranks seven years back.
Sobha, who hails from Khoyerpur near Sarenga in Bankura district, also urged other women squad members to give up Maoism and surrender to the police.
- Third Maoist surrenders in West Bengal - Aug 31, 2010
- Woman Maoist commander surrenders in West Bengal - Aug 28, 2010
- First Maoist surrender in West Bengal - Aug 27, 2010
- Are Maoists losing ground in West Bengal? - Dec 30, 2010
- Maoist accepts West Bengal offered rehab package - Aug 27, 2010
- Woman Maoist surrenders in West Bengal - Nov 16, 2010
- Seven Maoists surrender in Bengal - May 23, 2012
- Suspected Maoists kill villager - Jan 31, 2011
- Maoist involved in train hijack sent to police custody - Nov 20, 2011
- Women Maoist cadres surrender in Bengal - Jul 30, 2012
- Five Maoists held in Bengal - Dec 09, 2010
- Another Maoist couple surrenders in Bengal - Feb 07, 2012
- Maoists kill former CPI-M activist - Apr 04, 2011
- Seven Maoists surrender in Bengal (Lead) - May 23, 2012
- Two Maoists held in Bengal - Mar 15, 2011
Tags: alias, communist party of india, CPI, first woman, four months, injustices, jhargram, kolkata, mandi, manoj, maoism, maoist, maoists, midnapore district, seven years, squad member, squad members, state government, surrender policy, west bengal