Maoist woman leader arrested in Uttar PradeshSeptember 3rd, 2008 - 3:44 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Sep 3 (IANS) A woman wing commander of a Maoist group was arrested in Sonebhadra district of Uttar Pradesh, police said Wednesday.”We received information about the movement of a Maoist group and laid a trap. About a dozen Maoists fled but the woman wing commander was arrested Tuesday night,” Sonebhadra Superintendent of Police Ramkumar told IANS.
Identified as Bitni alias Nirmala, she was the last woman Maoist leader at large in the district, which is about 300 km from here. Other four women commanders had been arrested earlier.
“Bitni is a member of the Maoist Communist Centre (MCC) and her husband Ramvrikhsa Kol is an area commander of this outfit,”
Nirmala carried a cash reward of Rs.25,000 and is wanted in connection with over 20 criminal cases.
Maoists are active in Sonebhadra, Mirzapur and Chandauli districts of Uttar Pradesh as well as neighbouring districts of Madhya Pradesh, Bihar and Jharkhand.
- Maoist leader arrested in UP - May 29, 2012
- Maoist leader arrested in Uttar Pradesh - May 25, 2012
- Five arrested with explosives - Aug 04, 2011
- Five arrested with explosives in Maoist-affected area - Jan 31, 2011
- Top naxal commander shot dead - Nov 10, 2009
- Cream of Maoist movement hails from Andhra - Nov 25, 2011
- Two suspected Maoists arrested in Uttar Pradesh - May 11, 2010
- 5,000 detonators seized in Uttar Pradesh - Nov 08, 2011
- Slain Maoist leader Azad's wife arrested in Andhra - Jun 10, 2012
- Bandit gunned down in Uttar Pradesh - Sep 30, 2011
- Gangster, two aides shot dead - May 22, 2010
- Three suspected Maoists arrested with explosives - Jul 13, 2010
- Maoist surrenders in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 28, 2011
- Bandit gunned down in Uttar Pradesh - Dec 07, 2010
- Police hunt for top Maoist near Andhra-Orissa border - Nov 15, 2010