Maoist strike hits life in interior ChhattisgarhJuly 1st, 2010 - 3:51 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, July 1 (IANS) Normal life was hit in the forested interiors of Chhattisgarh Thursday, the second day of the two-day shutdown in five states called by the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist).
Security has been tightened in Maoist-affected areas, mainly in the state’s Bastar region which is made up of five districts — Narayanpur, Kanker, Bastar, Bijapur and Dantewada.
“Buses are off the roads as transporters fear attacks by Maoists. So far, no report of violence has been received from anywhere in the Bastar region,” Inspector General of Police T.J. Longkumer told reporters at Jagdalpur, divisional headquarters of the restive Bastar region.
Besides blocking roads in the interior areas, rebels have also blocked state and national highways in Bijapur and Dantewada districts, officials at the police headquarters in Raipur told IANS.
According to officials, there is always a shutdown-like situation in the forested remote areas of 40,000 sq km Bastar region.
The shutdown that began Wednesday covers Jharkhand, Bihar, Orissa, Chhattisgarh and West Bengal. It was called a day after Maoists killed 27 security men in an ambush in Narayanpur district.
- Maoists kill three, as shutdown hits Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Maoists blast in tourist destination Chitrakot - Feb 07, 2011
- Man killed by Maoists during Chhattisgarh shutdown (Lead) - Oct 23, 2010
- Maoist strike begins in Chhattisgarh - Jul 07, 2010
- Maoist strike hits life, iron ore shipment in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Jul 07, 2010
- Chhattisgarh on alert against Maoist strike - Aug 14, 2011
- Maoists blast Chitrakot police post, disrupt Bastar life (Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- Maoists kill villager, blast Chitrakot police post (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2011
- After attack, Chhattisgarh hunts for Maoists - Oct 22, 2011
- Maoist shutdown hits life in Chhattisgarh's Bastar - Oct 23, 2010
- Maoists oppose Chhattisgarh's foundation anniversary - Oct 28, 2011
- Tribal killed by Maoists - Aug 11, 2011
- Bombs found in Chhattisgarh's Maoist heartland - Jan 01, 2012
- Bastar deserted due to Maoist shutdown - Jul 29, 2011
- Maoist shutdown hits life in Chhattisgarh - Dec 04, 2010
Tags: ambush, bastar, bihar, bijapur, chhattisgarh raipur, communist party of india, CPI, divisional headquarters, fear attacks, inspector general, interior areas, jharkhand, maoist, maoists, national highways, orissa, police headquarters, rebels, security men, west bengal