Maoist strike call evokes mixed response in BiharMay 15th, 2008 - 8:13 pm ICT by admin
Patna, May 15 (IANS) A strike call by Maoists evoked mixed response in Bihar Thursday. While normal life was hit in some rural areas, urban areas were largely unaffected. Till Thursday evening, no major incident except for a rail line being blown up was reported from across the state during the state-wide 24-hour strike that started late Wednesday night, a police official said.
The police said the strike call given by the Maoists has so far passed off peacefully except for stray incidents.
Maoists blasted a railway line near Jaimurtinagar railway station on the Sitamarhi-Raxaul section Thursday. Railway sources said the blast disrupted rail traffic on the section for several hours and traffic resumed after repairs were carried out.
State police spokesperson Anil K. Sinha told newspersons here that a red alert has been sounded and police officers were asked to keep extra vigil.
Maoists had given the strike call to protest against the arrest of senior Maoist leader Ramparvesh Baitha, who is wanted in 34 cases of violence. He was arrested from Golghar here May 9.
Official sources in the home department said the Maoist strike call evoked no response in urban areas but normal life in some rural areas, regarded as Maoist strongholds, was affected.
East Central Railway announced the cancellation or diversion of several train services passing through north Bihar including 1448 Howrah-Jabalpur Mail, and 8611/8612 Varanasi-Ranchi-Varanasi Express.
Railway stations across the state have been alerted and the railway police told to increase patrolling and deploy additional forces.
- Maoists blow up railway track in Bihar - Sep 14, 2010
- Seven trains cancelled in Jharkhand due to Maoist strike - Jul 07, 2010
- Maoists blow up rail track, enforce strike in Bihar - Jan 18, 2010
- Jharkhand: Seven trains cancelled following Maoist shutdown - Jul 07, 2010
- Maoists blow up rail track in Bihar - Feb 07, 2010
- Maoists to paralyse North Bihar today - May 15, 2008
- Maoists torch truck, tractor in Bihar - Feb 08, 2010
- Maoists blast rail track in Bihar, trains disrupted (Lead) - Feb 07, 2010
- Maoists attack railway station, blast government office in Bihar - Oct 13, 2009
- Maoists blow up railway track in Bihar - Feb 11, 2011
- Security men escape Maoist poster bomb (Lead) - Jul 07, 2010
- Terror threat to Bihar railway station - Jan 09, 2012
- UP traders claim bandh a success, to keep up protests (Lead) - Sep 20, 2012
- Maoist strike hits train, bus movement in six states (Roundup) - Jul 07, 2010
- Partial response to shutdown in northeast, barring Assam - Jul 05, 2010