Maoist shutdown hits iron ore shipment in ChhattisgarhMay 22nd, 2011 - 3:09 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, May 22 (IANS) Iron ore transportation by NMDC Ltd, India’s largest iron ore producer and exporter in the public sector, was affected in Chhattisgarh on the second day of a Maoist shutdown Sunday, an official said.
“The transportation of iron ore has been hit by upto 20 percent of daily dispatches of some 48,000 tonnes because the railways have refused to provide rakes during night, fearing attacks by Maoists,” a senior NMDC official in Bacheli told IANS.
The guerrillas had damaged tracks at two locations in Dantewada district Saturday, which had disrupted traffic for several hours between Kirandul and Visakhapatnam.
The NMDC has several mines at Bacheli and Kirandul hilly areas of Dantewada, which produce 75-80 percent of its total annual iron ore output.
A part of the iron ore is also exported to Japan and other Asian countries through Andhra Pradesh’s Visakhapatnam port.
The outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) had called for a 48-hour shutdown in several central and eastern parts of the country Saturday to protest against the arrest of its three central committee members in Bihar last month.
The rebels had killed a policeman and a civilian and also set three vehicles on fire Saturday in Bastar, a sprawling 40,000 sq km mineral-rich heavily forested area which has been a Maoist stronghold since the 1980s.
- Maoists' shutdown hits NMDC iron ore transportation - Jul 08, 2011
- Railways suffer loss in Chhattisgarh as protest continues - Jan 20, 2012
- Maoist shutdown hits NMDC iron ore transportation (Lead) - Dec 06, 2010
- Maoist shutdown hits NMDC iron ore transportation - Dec 06, 2010
- Maoists blast rail tracks in Chhattisgarh - Sep 27, 2011
- Maoist shutdown hits iron ore shipment in Chhattisgarh - Mar 23, 2010
- Maoists block highway, damage rail track in Chhattisgarh - Dec 05, 2011
- NMDC to open new iron ore mine in Chhattisgarh - Jul 29, 2011
- NMDC iron ore shipment hit by Maoist shutdown - Dec 13, 2010
- Maoists kill two CISF men at Chhattisgarh mining site - Nov 16, 2011
- Maoist-called shutdown hits life in Chhattisgarh - Dec 04, 2011
- Strike hits mining in Chhattisgarh - Feb 28, 2012
- Day after blast, terror stalks Chhattisgarh miners - Jun 27, 2011
- Bastar deserted due to Maoist shutdown - Jul 29, 2011
- NMDC resumes iron shipment from Chhattisgarh - Jan 23, 2012
Tags: andhra pradesh, asian countries, bastar, central committee members, chhattisgarh raipur, communist party of india, CPI, dispatches, forested area, guerrillas, hilly areas, iron ore producer, maoist, maoists, nmdc, policeman, railways, rakes, rebels, stronghold