Maoist leader’s wife freed from jail (Lead)April 10th, 2012 - 4:08 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, April 10 (IANS) Subhashree Das, wife of Maoist leader Sabyasachi Panda, was released Tuesday from a jail in Odisha after a court acquitted her in a 2003 shootout case for lack of evidence.
Her release was sought by the rebels in exchange for an Italian who has been held captive by them since last month.
A fast track court at Gunpur in Rayagada district acquitted Das, whose husband was behind last month’s abduction of two Italians, one of whom was later released.
Das was accused of involvement in a gun battle between Maoists and police in Kutingaguda in 2003.
After coming out of jail, Das said the government did not have any role in her release.
“I was saying from the beginning that I am innocent. Now it was proved,” she told reporters in Gunpur, about 250 kms from here.
Praising her husband for serving the poor and peasants, she said Panda was a friend, guide and philosopher for her though he stayed away from her. Das also feared that police may arrest her again.
Das, also known as Mili, is one of several prisoners whose freedom was sought by Maoists in exchange for Italian tour operator Bosusco Paolo, who the rebels abducted March 14.
Panda is organising secretary of the Odisha unit of the Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist), which kidnapped the Italians.
- Odisha court acquits Maoist leader's wife - Apr 10, 2012
- Maoist leader's wife freed, Odisha hostage crisis continues (Second Lead) - Apr 10, 2012
- Maoists release Italian hostage, MLA still missing (Second Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Maoists release second Italian (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Maoists release Italian hostage, MLA still held (Roundup) - Apr 12, 2012
- Fulfil promises before Italian's release: Maoists (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- For Italian's release, fulfil promise: Maoists - Apr 11, 2012
- Threat to my husband's life: Maoist leader's wife - Aug 12, 2012
- Hostage crisis: Maoist's wife, 26 others to be freed - Apr 05, 2012
- Hostage crisis: Maoist's wife, 26 others to be freed (Lead) - Apr 05, 2012
- Odisha begins dialogue to secure release of Italians - Mar 22, 2012
- Odisha hostage crisis: Maoists refuse to release Italian (Lead) - Apr 06, 2012
- Italian hostages: India hopes for positive outcome - Mar 21, 2012
- Maoists set Thursday deadline for abducted Odisha legislator - Apr 03, 2012
- Maoists holding Hikaka jack up their demand (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
Tags: abducted, abduction, communist party of india, CPI, fast track, freedom, gun battle, italian tour operator, italians, lack of evidence, maoist, maoists, mili, odisha, panda, peasants, philosopher, prisoners, rebels