Maoist landmine blast kills five CRPF men in Chhattisgarh (Lead)May 18th, 2011 - 12:49 am ICT by IANS
Raipur, May 17 (IANS) At least five troopers of the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) were killed Tuesday in a landmine blast in a forested stretch of Chhattisgarh’s violence-hit Dantewada district, police said.
The incident took place after 9 p.m. at on the national highway between Sukma and Dornapal, over 500 km south of Raipur.
“A powerful blast ripped apart a vehicle carrying seven jawans (troopers). Five men of the CRPF’s 2nd battalion killed on the spot while two others sustained serious injuries,” Dantewada police chief Ankit Garg told IANS.
He added that both the injured troopers were in a very serious condition and police were making arrangements to rush them to a hospital at Jagdalpur, headquarters of the Bastar region.
A local police officer said that a powerful blast hit the last vehicle of the three-vehicle convoy on its way to Sukma from Kerlapal.
“The vehicle was tossed up several feet in the air by the powerful blast. The Maoists managed to melt into the nearby forests after targeting the convoy,” a local police officer said.
Reinforcements have been rushed to the site.
Meanwhile, the outlawed Communist Party of India-Maoist (CPI-Maoist) Tuesday called for a 48-hour shutdown in seven states from May 21 to protest against the arrest of its three central committee members in Bihar.
In an unsigned statement sent to a few media outlets in Chhattisgarh, the outfit said it would enforce the shutdown in Bihar, Jharkhand, Orissa, West Bengal, Maharashtra and Andhra Pradesh, besides Chhattisgarh, in protest against arrest of its three senior leaders arrested last month in Bihar.
The rebels have sought unconditional and immediate release of its three leaders.
- Five troopers killed in Chhattisgarh landmine blast - May 18, 2011
- Toll in Chhattisgarh blast rises to seven - May 18, 2011
- Maoists blow up CRPF vehicle, kill trooper in Chhattisgarh - Aug 06, 2012
- Three troopers killed in Chhattisgarh blast - Oct 07, 2011
- 40-kg explosive device defused in Chhattisgarh - Sep 01, 2012
- Five policemen killed in Chhattisgarh Maoist attacks - Jun 27, 2011
- Security forces kill 17 Maoists (Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Maoists abduct Chhattisgarh collector, kill two guards (Third Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Villagers shun Chhattisgarh 'carnage' probe - Jul 14, 2012
- Maoist strike cripples Chhattisgarh, 8 cops injured (Lead) - May 17, 2012
- 10 securitymen die in Maoist landmine blast (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Panchayat secretary killed in Maoist firing - Aug 30, 2012
- 10 Chhattisgarh cops killed in Maoist attack (Second Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Maoists call 48-hour shutdown from May 21 - May 17, 2011
- CRPF kill 9 Maoists in Bastar gunfight, rebels strike back (Second Lead) - Nov 23, 2010
Tags: bihar, central committee members, communist party of india, district police, five men, jharkhand, landmine blast, maharashtra, maoist, maoists, media outlets, nearby forests, orissa, police force, raipur, reinforcements, reserve police, sukma, vehicle convoy, west bengal