Maoist hideout busted, explosives seized in BengalApril 1st, 2011 - 11:05 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, April 1 (IANS) Security personnel Friday unearthed a Maoist hideout in a forest in West Bengal’s West Midnapore district and recovered a huge cache of explosives and weapons the rebels were planning to use to disrupt the assembly elections, officials said.
“A huge cache of explosives, including high intensity landmines, were recovered from a Maoist hideout in a forest at Bhumishole near Maoist-affected Lalgarh,” said West Midnapore’s Additional Police Superintendent (Operation) Sukesh Jain.
“We had specific inputs that Maoists took shelter and were preparing landmines to trigger blasts during the assembly polls. Acting on specific inputs, we conducted raids in the area and unearthed the hideout, but no one was found there. We seized the explosive and ammunition,” Jain told IANS over phone.
The seizures included 20 kg of raw explosive materials, five landmines and two firearms, he added.
Maoists are active in three western districts of the state - West Midnapore, Purulia and Bankura. Six phased assembly polls are being held in the state April 18 to May 10.
- Maoist hideout busted in Bengal, arms seized - Feb 03, 2011
- 2 Maoists held, arms and ammunition seized in Bengal (Lead) - Feb 18, 2011
- Two Maoists arrested, explosives recovered in West Bengal - Sep 25, 2010
- 2 Maoists held; arms, ammunition seized - Feb 18, 2011
- Maoists regrouping in Bengal: Police - Jul 05, 2011
- Heavy voting in Maoist heartland as Bengal polls end (Roundup) - May 10, 2011
- Top Maoist leaders arrested in West Bengal (Second Lead) - Dec 04, 2010
- Maoists kill CPI-M worker in West Bengal - Feb 19, 2011
- Two Maoists held in Bengal raids - Feb 15, 2011
- Violence, killings down in Maoist areas, says Mamata - Jun 29, 2012
- Maoist leader arrested for Bengal policeman's murder - Nov 25, 2010
- West Bengal police arrest two Maoists in West Midnapore - Dec 25, 2010
- Member of pro-Maoist PCAPA held in Bengal - Nov 12, 2010
- Brisk voting in fifth round of Bengal polls (Fourth Lead) - May 07, 2011
- Brisk polling in fifth round of Bengal elections (Third Lead) - May 07, 2011
Tags: ammunition, assembly elections, assembly polls, bankura, blasts, elections officials, explosive materials, explosives, hideout, high intensity, kolkata, landmines, maoist, maoists, midnapore district, police superintendent, purulia, security personnel, seizures, west bengal