Many UP poll candidates face criminal charges: StudyFebruary 4th, 2012 - 8:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 4 (IANS) A total of 41 out of the 114 assembly constituencies going to polls in the first two phases of Uttar Pradesh elections Feb 8 and 11 have three or more candidates from major parties with declared criminal cases against them, a study said Saturday.
The Association of Democratic Reforms (ADF) said that out of these 41 “red alert” constituencies, 28 have three candidates with declared criminal cases, 10 have four such candidates, two have five such candidates and one where all of the six analysed candidates have criminal cases.
It further said that all candidates analysed from Mehdawal constituency in Sant Kabir Nagar district have declared criminal cases in their affidavits.
They include candidates from the Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), Samajwadi Party (SP), Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Congress, Janata Dal-United (JD-U) and Peace Party.
Among the districts going to polls in the first two phases, Kushi Nagar has the highest number of candidates (21 out of 42 analysed till now) who have declared criminal cases in their affidavits submitted to the Election Commission, the report said.
- Elections 2012: UP poll battle begins Wednesday - Feb 06, 2012
- 31 percent of UP third-phase candidates have criminal cases - Feb 14, 2012
- Brisk polling on in Uttar Pradesh (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Crime, money power shadow Uttar Pradesh polls - Feb 03, 2012
- Polling steady, peaceful in round three of UP polls (Third Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- UP polls: Round 3 ends peacefully, 57-58 percent turnout (Fourth Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- UP polls: 20 percent turnout in four hours (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Uttar Pradesh to vote in second round Saturday - Feb 10, 2012
- Criminal cases against 116 Bihar candidates: NGO - Oct 06, 2010
- 128 nominees in UP poll's sixth phase face criminal cases - Feb 18, 2012
- Third phase of Bengal polls has its share of criminal candidates - Apr 21, 2011
- 48 candidates in Bengal second-phase face criminal charges - Apr 16, 2011
- 'Criminal charges against 9 percent MCD poll nominees' - Apr 10, 2012
- Voting in UP polls second phase begins - Feb 11, 2012
- 48 candidates with criminal record in Jharkhand second phase poll - Nov 30, 2009
Tags: affidavits, assembly constituencies, bahujan samaj party, bahujan samaj party bsp, bharatiya janata party, bjp, congress, constituency, criminal charges, democratic reforms, election commission, jd, New Delhi, peace party, poll, polls, Samajwadi Party, sant kabir, uttar pradesh elections