Many dead fish found on south Kerala coastlineOctober 24th, 2008 - 8:37 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Oct 24 (IANS) A large number of dead fish, primarily of the ‘Klathi’ variety, have been found over the past two days in the coastal area of the capital city and Kollam district. Thiruvananthapuram Mayor C. Jayan Babu visited the seashore near the city airport and has asked the civic authorities to quickly bury the dead fish.
“We have alerted the health officials and the civic authorities has begun cleaning up the coastline,” Babu told reporters here Friday.
The residents have been complaining of foul smell for the past two days and several children are said to have developed breathing problems.
Locals point out that it is one particular variety of fish named ‘Klathi’ which have been spotted in huge numbers.
“The last time this happened was in 2004 and we have been told by experts that this happens because of a sudden change in weather conditions in the deep sea,” said a local fisherman.
Meanwhile state government officials attached to the fisheries department have been alerted and have been asked to find out what the possible reasons for the incident.
- Kerala government to give job to widow of killed fisherman - Feb 22, 2012
- Kerala fishermen's daily tryst with danger - Feb 20, 2012
- Two fishermen dead, two hurt in collision off Kerala coast - Mar 01, 2012
- Two killed by Italian ship personnel, envoy summoned (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Two shot dead by Italian ship personnel, Kerala announces relief - Feb 16, 2012
- Indian law set in motion in Italian ship shooting: Kerala Police - Feb 16, 2012
- Italian marines case: Kerala Police file chargesheet - May 18, 2012
- Two die in Italian ship firing, India summons envoy (Second Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Bolivian teen killed in piranha attack - Dec 07, 2011
- Venus transit clouded in Kerala, monsoon strengthens (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Tragedy strikes Kerala waters again, two killed (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- No clue of missing fishermen or hit and run ship - Mar 02, 2012
- Fishy business: Mobile fish parlours flourish in Uttar Pradesh - Jul 18, 2012
- Piranha attack in China leads hunt for fish - Jul 12, 2012
- Boat owner ready to let Italian ship sail for Rs.1.7 mn - Apr 26, 2012