Manu Sharma seeks 12-day parole for brother’s marriage (Lead)November 2nd, 2011 - 7:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 2 (IANS) Manu Sharma, serving life sentence in the Tihar Jail for killing ramp model Jessica Lall in 1999, Wednesday approached the Delhi High Court, seeking parole to attend his brother’s marriage and related functions between Nov 10 and 21.
Parole is the temporary release of a convict from prison before the end of the tenure of his sentence, subject to certain conditions.
Taking note of Sharma’s plea, Justice V.K. Shali issued notice to Delhi Police for their reply within a week.
While issuing notice, however, Justice Shali also referred to Manu Sharma’s conduct while on parole, saying that on earlier occasions he had been visiting discotheques, violated the parole conditions.
Sharma’s counsel told the court that according to the guidelines for granting parole, the conduct of only past one year had to be considered.
The court fixed the next hearing Nov 14. It declined Sharma’s plea for an early hearing, saying: “He need not attend all functions.”
Sharma was awarded life imprisonment by the high court in December 2006 for the murder of Lall in 1999. The life term was upheld by the Supreme Court last year.
Lall was shot dead by Sharma at the Tamarind Court restaurant owned by socialite Bina Ramani at Qutub Colonnade in south Delhi’s Mehrauli area where she had hosted a party.
In September 2009, Sharma was released from jail on a 30-day parole to attend to his ailing mother and perform rituals related to the death of his grandmother.
During the second extension of the parole for another 30 days, Sharma was seen partying in a discotheque. His mother, whose illness was also the basis for the parole, was seen at a media briefing promoting a cricket tournament at Piccadilly - the family-run hotel in Chandigarh.
Following a public uproar, Sharma had to surrender to the jail authority before the expiry of his parole period.
- Manu Sharma's parole plea decision Nov 16 (Lead) - Nov 14, 2011
- Manu Sharma moves court for three weeks' furlough - Sep 07, 2012
- Manu Sharma granted parole, barred from nightclubs - Nov 16, 2011
- Jessica Lall case: Defence ends arguments in perjury case - Apr 19, 2011
- Jessica Lall murder trial timeline - Apr 19, 2010
- Manu Sharma questions Bina Ramani's testimony in Jessica murder case - Jan 21, 2010
- Court denies parole to Jessica murder convict - Jan 31, 2012
- 'Repentant' Manu Sharma donates Rs.5 mn to Missionaries of Charity - Dec 25, 2011
- Witnesses turning hostile has become endemic: High court (Lead) - Mar 15, 2011
- Apex court upholds life for Manu Sharma in Jessica murder case (Second Lead) - Apr 19, 2010
- Crime victim's kin sore over Manu Sharma's parole - Nov 16, 2011
- Supreme Court verdict in Jessica Lall murder case today - Apr 19, 2010
- Apex court upholds life for Manu Sharma in Jessica murder case (Lead) - Apr 19, 2010
- Jessica Lall case : Supreme Court rejects Manu Sharma's plea - Aug 10, 2010
- Verdict on Manu's plea in Jessica murder likely Monday - Apr 17, 2010
Tags: bina ramani, chandigarh, colonnade, cricket tournament, delhi high court, delhi police, discotheques, jessica lall, life imprisonment, life sentence, manu sharma, mehrauli, parole conditions, party in september, piccadilly, public uproar, shali, south delhi, tamarind court, tihar jail