Mantralaya fire: toll climbs to three (Lead)June 22nd, 2012 - 12:01 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 22 (IANS) The death toll in the major fire that swept the Maharashtra Mantralaya or secretariat here rose to three, an official of the city disaster control said.
While two dead bodies were recovered late Thursday evening, another was found Friday morning from the building, the official said.
A major fire broke out Thursday afternoon in room 411 on the fourth floor and quickly spread, engulfing the three top floors of the six storied iconic Mantralaya building in the heart of South Mumbai.
The rescue teams, comprising of the fire brigade, the police, an Indian Navy team and Force One commandoes and 41 fire tenders from Mumbai, Thane, Navi Mumbai, and other agencies, managed to evacuate and save the 65-odd people trapped on the upper floors.
The fire brigade has described the situation as ‘under control’ Friday and efforts to douse the fire continued unabated.
Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan has ordered an inquiry by the Crime Branch to ascertain whether it was an accident, negligence or sabotage.
- Mantralaya fire toll rises to five (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Mantralaya fire continues second day - Jun 22, 2012
- Chavan, Bhujbal inspect fire-ravaged Mantralaya - Jun 23, 2012
- Two killed, 16 injured in Mantralaya fire (Intro Night Lead) (With images) - Jun 22, 2012
- A day after fire, Mantralaya staffers kept out - Jun 22, 2012
- Dozens trapped in burning Mantralaya, navy called (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Chavan takes stock of Mantralaya fire - Jun 22, 2012
- 16 injured in Mantralaya fire, blaze under control (Night Lead) (With images) - Jun 21, 2012
- RTI activist alleges sabotage in Mantralaya fire - Jun 22, 2012
- Pawar lauds rescue operations during Mantralaya fire - Jun 22, 2012
- Mantralaya blaze: Chavan says fire controlled, orders probe (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Mantralaya resumes work after four days - Jun 25, 2012
- Chavan reviews situation after Mantralaya blaze - Jun 21, 2012
- Mantralaya to be functional in three months, says Bhujbal (Lead) - Jun 23, 2012
- Two dead in Mantralaya fire - Jun 22, 2012
Tags: chavan, chief minister, commandoes, crime branch, dead bodies, death toll, disaster control, fire brigade, fire tenders, friday morning, indian navy, maharashtra, navy team, negligence, room 411, sabotage, south mumbai, thane, thursday afternoon, upper floors