Manmohan to warn Karzai about Pakistan’s gamesFebruary 2nd, 2011 - 9:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 2 (IANS) Afghan President Hamid Karzai Wednesday arrived in India on a two-day visit that will see the two sides discuss the proposed Taliban integration process in Afghanistan and India’s concerns triggered by Pakistan’s attempts to meddle in it. Karzai will speak at the inaugural session of the Delhi Sustainable Development Summit, organised by The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) Thursday before he sits down for wide-ranging talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at his residence.
In his meeting with Karzai, Manmohan Singh is expected to reiterate India’s apprehensions about the ongoing dialogue over reintegrating the so-called moderate Taliban, specially Pakistan’s perceived attempt to influence the process to further its own strategic designs.
He is expected to seek reassurance from the India-educated Afghan president that his government will only negotiate with those Taliban elements who sever links with the terrorists and accept the Afghan constitution, as agreed at the Kabul and London conclaves last year, said informed sources.
The two sides are also likely to discuss the prospective security situation in view of the planned phased withdrawal of US troops from Afghanistan that is expected to begin July.
The prime minister is also likely to urge Karzai for review of security measures for around 4,000 Indians engaged in a range of projects in the violence-torn country.
“Any external interference in the reintegration process would be detrimental to its success and for the future of democratic, stable, pluralistic and prosperous Afghanistan,” External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna said early this month during his visit to Kabul.
Karzai will call on President Pratibha Patil. He flies to Munich Thursday evening to attend a global security conference.
- India, Afghanistan to jointly combat terror (Lead) - Feb 03, 2011
- Manmohan to meet Karzai, to oppose Pakistan's meddling - Feb 01, 2011
- Manmohan, Karzai discuss security of Indians in Afghanistan - Feb 03, 2011
- Karzai to brief India on new Taliban strategy - Oct 03, 2011
- India cautions Karzai over Taliban deal, opposes external meddling (Third Lead) - Apr 26, 2010
- Afghanistan seeks Indian equipment for security forces (Roundup) - May 01, 2012
- India to convey concerns about Taliban to Afghanistan - Aug 23, 2010
- Afghanistan seeks Indian equipment for security forces (Lead) - May 01, 2012
- Khurshid represents India at prayers for Rabbani - Sep 24, 2011
- India cautions Afghanistan over Taliban deal, to jointly fight terror (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2010
- Manmohan to meet Karzai Monday, Taliban worry tops agenda - Apr 25, 2010
- Indian missions in Afghanistan under constant threat: Krishna - Jan 07, 2011
- Karzai in India next week, focus on ISI's role - Sep 28, 2011
- India cautions Karzai against Taliban trap (Lead) - Apr 26, 2010
- With Pakistan in mind, Delhi and Kabul seal strategic pact - Oct 05, 2011
Tags: afghan president hamid, afghan president hamid karzai, apprehensions, conclaves, delhi sustainable development, development summit, external affairs minister, external interference, games new, hamid karzai, inaugural session, manmohan, manmohan singh, president hamid karzai, president pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, s games, security conference, security measures