Manmohan Singh says Indian diaspora an inspirationAugust 15th, 2008 - 11:18 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 15 (IANS) Lauding the contributions of the Indian diaspora, who number some 25 million in over 130 countries, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Friday said they were a source of “inspiration” for their country of origin. “India is today viewed with respect as one of the world’s fastest growing economies. People of Indian Origin are engaged in diverse activities around the world and their capabilities are recognized the world over,” he said in a speech from the Red Fort.
“Their achievements inspire us,” the prime minister said in his Independence Day address to the nation, his last for the current tenure of the United Progressive Alliance (UPA) government.
“The world today expects India to regain its due place in the comity of nations. This is a moment of opportunity for us.”
In the past, too, Manmohan Singh has praised the Indian diaspora, not just for the huge remittances, estimated at $27 billion annually, but also for the role it has played as unofficial ambassadors of their country of origin.
The UPA government was the first to set up a separate ministry - the ministry of overseas Indian affairs - to exclusively deal with the affairs of the Indian diaspora.
- India asks diaspora to become partners in progress - Jun 10, 2011
- Canada announces 10-year visas for Indians (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- India pushing Gulf countries for liberal labour laws - Jan 08, 2012
- NRIs on electoral rolls soon, single card for diaspora: PM (Roundup) - Jan 08, 2011
- NRIs on electoral rolls soon, single card for diaspora: PM (Lead) - Jan 08, 2011
- India to pay homage at Ethiopian leader's funeral - Aug 28, 2012
- NRIs will be on India's electoral rolls soon: PM - Jan 08, 2011
- 9th Pravasi Bharatiya Divas to highlight northeast region, says Vayalar Ravi - Sep 22, 2010
- India seeks diaspora investment in energy, healthcare - Jan 07, 2012
- India's annual diaspora conclave kicks off Saturday - Jan 06, 2012
- Involve NRKs in Kerala's development: Vayalar Ravi - Feb 12, 2011
- Punjab opposes service tax on foreign remittances - Jul 08, 2012
- Annual diaspora meet begins in Jaipur Saturday - Jan 05, 2012
- PM to inaugurate PBD 2011 - Sep 22, 2010
- India among fastest growing economies in world: PM Manmohan Singh - Mar 27, 2011