Manmohan Singh meets George BushJuly 9th, 2008 - 6:14 am ICT by IANS
Toyako, July 9 (IANS) Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Wednesday met US President George W. Bush at this Japanese resort that is the venue of the G8 summit. The meeting, that began 7.40 a.m. local time, was held at Hotel Windsor Toya. Manmohan Singh, who winds up a three-day visit here, drove two hours from Sapporo where he is staying, through mist-laden mountains and a lush green country landscape, to meet the American leader who is here to attend the G8 summit of the world’s industrialised nations.
The India-US nuclear deal, that has caused a rupture in the ruling coalition in New Delhi and has led to the government’s Communist allies announcing that they would withdraw from the government, is expected to figure high in the discussions, officials on both sides said.
The Indian government is expected to go through several mandatory procedures with the Vienna-based International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and the Nuclear Suppliers Group before the deal, in the making for three years, goes to Washington for a presidential determination and Congressional endorsement of the 123 bilateral enabling agreement.
Manmohan Singh, who came here to attend the Outreach meetings of the G8 summit as the representative of one of the five invited emerging economies that also include China, Brazil, South Africa and Mexico, returns to New Delhi Wednesday night.
- Manmohan Singh meets Bush, discusses n-deal and strategic ties (Lead) - Jul 09, 2008
- Bush meets Manmohan, says n-deal 'important for both' (Overall Lead) - Jul 09, 2008
- Indian PM ends Brazil trip - Jun 22, 2012
- Indian PM arrives in South Africa - Jun 23, 2012
- PM leaves for Italy for G8-G5 summit - Jul 07, 2009
- PM returns home from Brazil, Mexico trip - Jun 24, 2012
- Manmohan's Obama hug, Gilani handshake at Seoul dinner (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- PM to hold talks with Medvedev, Putin - Dec 16, 2011
- Maintain highest levels of nuclear security and safety: PM - Mar 23, 2012
- Post 26/11, a chronicle of India-Pakistan meetings - Apr 08, 2012
- PM reaches Frankfurt on way to Mexico, Brazil - Jun 16, 2012
- PM leaves Frankfurt for Mexico, Brazil - Jun 17, 2012
- Greece has upset calculations, let it not multiply: Manmohan - Nov 03, 2011
- Officials firm up agenda for nuclear summit in Seoul - Jan 16, 2012
- Manmohan Singh returns from G-20 summit (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010