Manmohan seeks expansion of UN Security CouncilSeptember 24th, 2011 - 9:08 pm ICT by IANS
United Nations, Sep 24 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Saturday called for making the UN “stronger and more effective” with revitalisation of the General Assembly and reforms and expansion of the decision making Security Council to “reflect contemporary reality”.
Addressing the UN General Assembly, the prime minister also called for pursuing the reform of governance systems of international institutions with “speed and efficiency”.
“We should not allow the global economic slowdown to become a trigger for building walls around ourselves through protectionism or erecting barriers to movement of people, services and capital,” he said.
Noting that nuclear proliferation continues to remain a threat to international security, Manmohan Singh said the “action plan put forward by (then) prime minister Rajiv Gandhi provides a concrete road map for achieving nuclear disarmament in a time bound, universal, non-discriminatory, phased and verifiable manner”.
Expressing confidence that people’s faith in the UN Charter and objectives of the UN “through statesmanship, foresight and collective efforts”, he declared “India stands ready to play its part in this noble endeavour”.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- India ready to play its part to meet global challenges: PM - Sep 24, 2011
- India calls for UN reforms, unrelenting war against terror (Roundup) - Sep 24, 2011
- PM calls for dialogue for nuclear-free world - Jun 23, 2011
- Manmohan Singh seeks UN reforms - Sep 24, 2011
- Manmohan cautions against building walls of protectionism - Sep 24, 2011
- G4 to meet on UN reforms in New York - Sep 17, 2011
- India to work closely with Malaysia: Krishna - May 03, 2011
- External Affairs Minister Krishna's speech to UN General Assembly: Full text (Lead) - Sep 30, 2010
- India to push Rajiv Gandhi plan for n-free world - Aug 19, 2011
- Nukes needed to deter blackmail by other powers: India (Lead) - Aug 21, 2012
- India, Japan reaffirm commitment for total elimination of nuke weapons - Oct 26, 2010
- India to renew pitch for nuclear disarmament - Aug 19, 2012
- IBSA calls for urgent UNSC reforms to expand permanent members - Mar 08, 2011
- India willing for non-discriminatory disarmament, says PM - Oct 20, 2009
- Manmohan leaves for home after UN trip - Sep 26, 2011
Tags: arun kumar, building walls, collective efforts, concrete road, global economic slowdown, governance systems, international institutions, international security, manmohan, manmohan singh, nuclear disarmament, nuclear proliferation, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, protectionism, rajiv gandhi, statesmanship, un general assembly, un security council, verifiable manner