Manipur insurgents held near India-Bangladesh borderMay 5th, 2010 - 9:48 pm ICT by IANS
Shillong, May 5 (IANS) Indian border guards have detained three separatist rebels, including a woman, of the Manipur-based outlawed People’s Liberation Army (PLA) along the India-Bangladesh border in Meghalaya, officials said Wednesday.
“(Self-styled) Corporal Nupamcha Nanda Singh, Ananta Singh and Shanti Devi of the banned Revolutionary People’s Front (RPF), the political wing of the PLA, were Tuesday detained by our patrol party from a village near Dawki after crossing over to India from Bangladesh,” Border Security Force spokesman Ravi Gandhi told IANS.
The PLA, an influential rebel group, is fighting for an independent homeland for the majority Metei community in Manipur.
There are some 20-odd militant groups active in Manipur with demands ranging from secession to greater autonomy.
During questioning, the militants said they had come from Chittagong Hills Tracts of Bangladesh, the official said.
The PLA had set up its bases in Chittagong Hill Tracts and Sylhet districts in Bangladesh bordering India’s Tripura, Mizoram and Meghalaya states.
Meghalaya shares a 443-km border with Bangladesh, part of which is porous, hilly and unfenced and prone to frequent infiltration.
- Top PLA rebel arrested in Meghalaya - Sep 05, 2012
- Dismantle militant camps, BSF to urge Bangladesh counterparts - Dec 08, 2011
- India handovers fresh list of insurgent camps to Bangladesh - Dec 15, 2011
- Four arrested PLA militants taken to Manipur - Jan 23, 2010
- Three rebels held in Meghalaya, infiltration bid foiled - Dec 30, 2010
- Two militants arrested from India-Bangladesh border - Apr 10, 2010
- ULFA militant, aide held in Meghalaya - Jul 28, 2010
- Manipur, Tripura militants caught - Feb 17, 2012
- Abducted Tripura tribals flee rebels' camp in Bangladesh - Dec 02, 2011
- ULFA rebel arrested in Meghalaya - Jul 13, 2011
- ULFA cadre arrested in Meghalaya - Jul 10, 2012
- Bangladesh assures firm action against Indian insurgents - Dec 13, 2011
- Four Manipuri militants held in Agartala - Jan 15, 2010
- Determined to end Garo terror outfit: Chidambaram - Feb 19, 2012
- Six tribal separatists surrender in Tripura - Nov 09, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,