Manipur chief minister escapes assassination bidSeptember 2nd, 2008 - 12:58 am ICT by IANS
Imphal, Sep 1 (IANS) Manipur Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh escaped an assassination bid late Monday when a bomb fired by suspected militants exploded inside his official residential complex here, officials said.A police spokesman said a bomb was fired late Monday and it exploded inside the boundary wall of the chief minister’s residence.
“The bomb landed inside the chief minister’s residential complex and damaged a private temple. Singh was present in his residence when the explosion took place,” a senior police official said requesting anonymity.
The People’s Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak (PREPAK), a rebel group fighting for an independent homeland for the majority Metei community, claimed responsibility for the attack.
A PREPAK leader telephoned local newspaper offices to own up the attack.
Police and paramilitary troopers have since launched a massive combing operation in the area.
“All entry and exit routes have been sealed and efforts are being made to track down the rebels,” the official said.
The chief minister has escaped two other assassination attempts during the past four years.
There are some 19 odd militant groups active in Manipur, bordering Myanmar, with demands ranging from secession to greater autonomy.
A number of militant groups have bases in Myanmar with Manipur sharing an unfenced border with the junta ruled country.
More than 10,000 people have lost their lives to insurgency in Manipur during the past two decades.
- Four serial blasts in Manipur, two injured (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Five people killed in Manipur blast - Aug 01, 2011
- Nine Manipur militants killed in encounters (Lead) - Dec 24, 2009
- Five killed, 20 injured in Manipur blast (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Five Manipur separatists arrested in Assam - Feb 04, 2010
- Grenade blast hits Congress office in poll-bound Manipur - Jan 05, 2012
- 57 militants surrender in Manipur - Dec 16, 2011
- Top PLA rebel arrested in Meghalaya - Sep 05, 2012
- Grenade hurled at Congress MP's house in Manipur, fails to explode - Sep 21, 2012
- Manipuri militant nabbed - Feb 16, 2012
- Powerful grenade found in Manipur secretariat - Sep 12, 2012
- 52 militants surrender in Manipur - Mar 27, 2012
- Blast near government office in Imphal - Sep 14, 2012
- Ibobi supports NCTC, stresses human rights angle - May 05, 2012
- Voting peaceful in Manipur (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012