Manimahesh pilgrimage to begin Aug 10 in HimachalJuly 13th, 2012 - 2:16 pm ICT by IANS
Chamba (Himachal Pradesh), July 13 (IANS) The 44-day-long Manimahesh pilgrimage in the interiors of Chamba district in Himachal Pradesh, dedicated to Hindu god Shiva, will begin next month with authorities expecting over 500,000 devotees, an official said Thursday.
Preparations are under way for the pilgrimage that begins on ‘Janmashtami’ (Aug 10) — celebrated to mark birth of another hindu god, Krishna, said Additional District Magistrate B.R. Kamal, who is the in-charge of the pilgrimage.
The pilgrimage would end on ‘Radhashtami’, the birth of Krishna’s consort Radha on Sep 23, Kamal told IANS.
He said work has begun to repair the 14-km trek from the Hadsar base camp, around 65 km from here, to the oval-shaped glacial-fed Manimahesh Lake.
Every year devotees undertake an arduous trek to the Manimahesh Lake from where they can see Mount Kailash, believed to be the abode of Shiva, and offer prayers.
It is believed that the devotees can have a view of the Mount Kailash only if the god is pleased. When the peak is hidden behind clouds, it signifies his unhappiness, the believers say.
The journey starts from Hadsar at a height of 6,000 feet, and after passing through rugged, cold and inhospitable terrain, it concludes at 13,500 feet at the lake.
- Manimahesh pilgrimage begins in Himachal - Aug 22, 2011
- 100,000 devotees take dip in Himachal lake - Sep 05, 2011
- Shiva's mace procession begins in Himachal - Aug 29, 2011
- Chopper service for Himachal's Manimahesh pilgrims - Sep 01, 2010
- Shiva's mace procession in Himachal begins Wednesday - Sep 06, 2010
- Heading for 'Shiva's home' - to keep it clean (Feature) - Jul 18, 2011
- Garbage girl in a new clean cause - Aug 17, 2011
- Devotees begins annual pilgrimage to Manimahesh Lake in Jammu and Kashmir - Sep 04, 2010
- Now British 'garbage girl' to clean Shiva's abode - Aug 17, 2010
- 'Garbage girl' gets 'Green Hero' award - Jul 02, 2010
- Chopper service to Himachal's holy Manimahesh lake starts - Aug 18, 2009
- Devotees visit Manimahesh Lake in Himachal Pradesh - Aug 19, 2009
- British 'Mountain Cleaners' give green lessons in Himachal hills - Nov 10, 2010
- Chopper service for Manimahesh pilgrims in Himachal - Sep 03, 2008
- Pilgrimage to Shiva's shrine begins in Himachal - Jul 16, 2010
Tags: abode of shiva, arduous trek, authorities, clouds, consort, devotees, district magistrate, hadsar, himachal pradesh, hindu god krishna, hindu god shiva, inhospitable terrain, journey, kamal, mount kailash, pilgrimage, prayers, radha, unhappiness