Manhunt for Kishenji in Junglemahal, five arrestedNovember 23rd, 2011 - 11:09 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Nov 23 (IANS) Five Maoists were arrested by the joint security forces after they launched a massive manhunt for top Maoist leader Kishenji suspected to be hiding in the jungles of West Midnapore’s Jhargram area, police sources said Wednesday.
Following intelligence inputs that Maoist leaders Kishenji alias Koteshwar Rao and Suchitra Mahato might be hiding in jungles at Nalbani, Lalbani or Khusbani in Jhargram, the forces raided the areas which led to the arrest of five rebels though there was no sign of the leaders, said the sources.
A massive combing operation has been launched by the security forces to look for the top rebels. Forces deployed in Jharkhand have also been alerted and asked to join in.
A large quantity of arms and ammunition have also been recovered in the operation, the sources said.
The security forces have resumed counter offensive operation in Junglemahal (Maoist affected areas of West Midnapore, Bankura and Purulia) after getting a go ahead from West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
The state government has also brought back former West Midnapore superintendent of police Manoj Verma, who was awaiting posting, to head the counter insurgency force.
- Top woman Maoist Suchitra Mahato headed lethal rebel squad - Mar 10, 2012
- Police comb forests, hunt for Kishenji's aides - Nov 25, 2011
- Maoist killed in Junglemahal - Feb 05, 2012
- Post Kishenji, security forces hunt for Maoists (Roundup) - Nov 25, 2011
- Two sent to custody for aiding Maoist leader - Nov 30, 2011
- Are Maoists losing ground in West Bengal? - Dec 30, 2010
- CID begins probe into Kishenji's death - Nov 26, 2011
- Top Maoist Kishanji killed in West Bengal (Night Lead) - Nov 24, 2011
- Partial response in Junglemahal on Maoist shutdown's day 2 - Nov 27, 2011
- Maoist leader killed in West Bengal - Mar 10, 2011
- Maoists regrouping in Bengal: Police - Jul 05, 2011
- Elimination of Kishenji not planned, just happened: Mamata - Mar 09, 2012
- Top woman Maoist surrenders, Mamata says Holi gift (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Mamata warns against infiltration of Maoists - Aug 08, 2012
- Left sceptical of Mahato's surrender, Congress welcomes it - Mar 09, 2012
Tags: alias, ammunition, bankura, chief minister, counter insurgency, jhargram, jungles, mamata banerjee, manoj, maoist, maoists, massive manhunt, midnapore, offensive operation, police sources, purulia, rao, security forces, suchitra, west bengal