Mangalore pub’s licence should be cancelled: NCWJanuary 31st, 2009 - 12:41 am ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Jan 30 (IANS) The National Commission for Women (NCW) Friday said the license of the Mangalore pub where women were attacked last week should be cancelled as it was illegally allowing live band performances and lacked proper security.A three-member NCW team, led by Nirmala Venkatesh, visited the pub Amnesia - The Lounge, where members of the Sri Rama Sene attacked women on Jan 24. Venkatesh said “We heard there was live band performance when it had license only to serve food.”
“We were also told that some girls were participating (in dancing),” Venkatesh told reporters.
“We checked the pub’s documents and are not satisfied with the explanation given by its owners,” Venkatesh said. “The pub also had no security guard.”
“They have no right to run the pub like that. The NCW will recommend cancellation of the license,” Venkatesh said.
The team met some of the 27 accused who are lodged in a jail. “They have expressed regret for their action,” she said.
Venkatesh said she has asked the district authorities to take action against pubs running without licenses and proper security.
Around 40 members of Sri Rama Sene (army of god Rama) barged into Amnesia on Jan 24 and bashed up several young women who were there with a group of men.
The Sene justified the attack saying they were “protecting traditional Indian values”.
Its vice president Prasad Attavar and 26 others were arrested two days after the attack. Attavar did not take part in the attack but defended it.
Sene founder president Pramod Muthalik, who was away in Maharashtra on the day of the attack, was arrested Thursday for justifying the action.
- Renuka Chowdhury sends team to probe Mangalore pub incident - Feb 01, 2009
- Mangalore pub attack victims stay away from ministry team (Lead) - Feb 01, 2009
- Mangalore hooligans get bail, their leader promises to behave (Lead) - Jan 31, 2009
- Mangalore pub attack: Muthalik, 27 supporters get bail - Jan 31, 2009
- Nirmala Venkatesh was a flaw in the system: Renuka Chowdhury - Feb 28, 2009
- Action against those inviting Muthalik to Goa: CM - Jul 18, 2012
- NCW member sacked over Mangalore assault probe - Feb 27, 2009
- Muthalik will be arrested if he enters Goa: Parrikar (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Rama Sene chief apologises for Mangalore attack (Lead) - Jan 28, 2009
- NCW, ministry reject member's report on Mangalore pub attack (Roundup) - Feb 06, 2009
- Elements like pub attackers are 'threat to national security': Renuka - Feb 03, 2009
- NCW member gets notice over Mangalore pub probe - Feb 06, 2009
- Goa CM dismisses Sri Ram Sene chief as inconsequential - Jun 27, 2012
- Renuka's ministry blames Mangalore pub attack on administration - Feb 06, 2009
- Renuka Chowdhury sacks NCW member over Mangalore assault probe - Feb 27, 2009