Mangalore crash: Supreme Court notice on Rs.75 lakh compensationJanuary 3rd, 2012 - 1:32 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 3 (IANS) The Supreme Court Tuesday issued a notice to the central government and Air India on a petition seeking a minimum compensation of Rs.75 lakh each for the 158 passengers killed in the May 2010 air crash in Mangalore.
An apex court bench issued the notice after senior counsel Harish Salve appearing for petitioner S. Abdul Salam and others told the court that under the Montreal convention the national carrier was obliged to pay a minimum compensation of 100,000 SDRs (special drawing rights) to the kith and kin of the passengers who died in the crash.
The SDR is a mix of currency values established by the International Monetary Fund (IMF). According to the current value, one lakh SDR adds up to Rs.75 lakh.
The court has directed the matter be listed for final hearing in April.
Abdul salam is the father of Mohammed Rafiq who was killed in the May 22, 2010, crash.
The Air India Express flight 812 from Dubai to Mangalore overshot the runway while landing at the table top Bajpe airport, about 20 km from Mangalore, and caught fire after plunging about 300 metres off a cliff.
- Mangalore crash: Apex court notices on Rs.75 lakh compensation (Lead) - Jan 03, 2012
- Mangalore air crash: Rs.75 lakh for each victim's kin (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2011
- Air India to pay Rs.75 lakh to crash victims - Jul 20, 2011
- Air India to pay Rs.75 lakh to kin of Mangalore crash (Lead) - Jul 20, 2011
- Stay on Rs.75 lakh compensation to Mangalore crash victims - Aug 25, 2011
- Kerala to pay Rs.3 lakh each for its 46 crash victims - May 23, 2010
- Mangalore air crash victims should get $145,000: Chandy - May 31, 2010
- Bodies of three more Keralite crash victims identified - May 26, 2010
- 87 crash victims identified, Hyderabad forensic team pitches in (Lead) - May 23, 2010
- Mangalore air crash: Mass funeral for 12 victims - Jun 02, 2010
- 12 of 158 dead in Mangalore plane crash yet to be identified - May 23, 2010
- Crash toll up to 159, four-year-old dead - May 22, 2010
- Forensic team from Hyderabad to help identify crash victims - May 23, 2010
- 158 killed as Air India plane plunges down cliff at Mangalore (Afternoon Lead) - May 22, 2010
- Kasargod MP lost 49 from his constituency in crash - May 24, 2010
Tags: abdul salam, air crash, air india, air india express, apex court, court bench, currency values, current value, international monetary fund, international monetary fund imf, kith, lakh, minimum compensation, mohammed rafiq, montreal convention, national carrier, petitioner, sdr, senior counsel, special drawing rights