Mangalore court rejects Rama Sene chief’s bail pleaJanuary 30th, 2009 - 8:43 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Jan 30 (IANS) A Mangalore court Friday rejected the bail plea of Sri Rama Sene founder Pramod Muthalik, who was arrested after activists of his outfit attacked young women in a Mangalore pub last week.Muthalik will be in police custody till Saturday evening when the court will decide whether to grant him bail.
The Sene founder was arrested by Mangalore police Thursday.
On Jan 24, around 40 activists of the Sri Rama Sene barged into a pub in Mangalore, about 350 km from here, and abused, bashed up and allegedly molested several girls who had gone to the place with a group of men.
Though Muthalik was away in Maharashtra at the time of the incident, he defended the attack saying it was carried out to “protect traditional Indian values”. He, however, apologised for the vicious attack on the women.
Muthalik is also wanted for questioning by the Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) to find out if he has any links with the key accused in the Malegaon bombing case.
A Mumbai ATS team is to investigate the alleged links between Malegaon blast accused Lt. Col. Shrikant Purohit and Muthalik.
The move follows revelations by Purohit that he was acquainted with Muthalik, police sources said.
Purohit is currently in custody charged under the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA.
The investigators, who have learnt that Muthalik visited Pune several times in the past, will now attempt to find out if the two groups are linked, the official said.
Many Malegaon blast accused had links with the Abhinav Bharat, a Pune-based Hindu right wing organisation.
- Mumbai ATS to probe Sri Rama Sene-Purohit links - Jan 29, 2009
- Malegaon blast: NIA to interrogate accused army officer - Jul 19, 2011
- Mangalore hooligans get bail, their leader promises to behave (Lead) - Jan 31, 2009
- Muthalik sent to judicial custody in pub attack case of Mangalore - Jan 29, 2009
- Goa CM dismisses Sri Ram Sene chief as inconsequential - Jun 27, 2012
- Mangalore pub attack: Muthalik, 27 supporters get bail - Jan 31, 2009
- High court grants bail to two Malegaon blast accused - Aug 03, 2011
- Malegaon blast: Purohit's custodial interrogation put off - Mar 21, 2012
- Action against those inviting Muthalik to Goa: CM - Jul 18, 2012
- 11 Malegaon blast accused to be charged under MCOCA (Second Lead) - Jul 19, 2010
- All accused get bail in Mangalore pub attack case - Jan 31, 2009
- Sri Ram Sene Chief Pramod Muthalik banned from Mangalore - Mar 16, 2009
- Ram Sene chief Muthalik attacked in Bangalore - Feb 11, 2010
- Muthalik will be arrested if he enters Goa: Parrikar (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Rama Sene founder sent to jail for a day - Jan 29, 2009