‘Mangalore attack is also a form of terrorism’January 27th, 2009 - 8:36 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 27 (IANS) Condemning the attack on women in a pub in Karnataka’s Mangalore last week as also a manifestation of terrorism, the Safdar Hashmi Memorial Trust (Sahmat) Tuesday said the same group who had attacked an exhibition of M.F. Husain’s art works here last year was behind the latest attack.”We remind the public that this is the same group which carried out an attack on an exhibition mounted by Sahmat in August last year, celebrating M.F. Husain’s contributions to Indian art,” said Ashok Kumari of the organisation.
“The Mangalore incident shows that terrorism has several manifestations and multiple protagonists. We appeal to the public to break out of the template on terrorism that has been moulded by the Hindutva Parivar. People should recognise that all offences against civilised norms of conduct and the rule of law, contribute to the triumph of terrorism,” he added.
A group of 40 activists barged into the pub Amnesia - The Lounge in Mangalore Saturday and bashed up a group of young women and men, claiming the women were violating traditional Indian values. The girls were punched and their hair pulled by the self-styled moral brigade.
The incident has drawn nationwide protests, especially enraging the younger generation.
- Sahmat sends open invitation to Rushdie - Jan 23, 2012
- Intellectuals speak up for M.F. Husain, Arundhati Roy - Jan 01, 2011
- Competitions, calendar release on Husain's birth anniversary - Sep 16, 2011
- A mega tribute to M.F. Husain planned in capital (With Image) - Jun 25, 2011
- For M.F. Husain, Shahnaz Husain was empress Noor Jahan (With Images) - Jul 03, 2011
- Events in Delhi to mark poet Faiz's birth centenary - Dec 28, 2010
- In exile, Husain wanted to destroy his paintings: Son - Jul 04, 2011
- Artists, thinkers outraged over crackdown on gay lensman's work - Mar 28, 2012
- M.F. Husain to be remembered on death anniversary (With Image) - Jun 02, 2012
- Family, friends recall Husain, colossus of Indian art - Sep 17, 2011
- Fanatics attacked me: Gay painter - Jan 06, 2012
- Husain's paintings to be back at art summit (Lead) - Jan 21, 2011
- Ramayana controversy: India's pluralism under threat again (Comment) - Oct 29, 2011
- At long last, Husain comes to Delhi (Feature, With Image) - Aug 06, 2011
- Yeddyurappa answerable for Mangalore attack, says Renuka Chowdhary - Jan 26, 2009