Manekshaw in comatose state in hospitalJune 26th, 2008 - 2:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 26 (IANS) Former Indian Army chief Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw is in a comatose state in a military hospital in Wellington in Tamil Nadu and doctors are doing their best to revive him, an official here said Thursday. “The field marshal is in a comatose state and the doctors are doing their best to revive him,” the official told IANS, requesting anonymity.
Manekshaw, 94, has been battling a series of old age-related ailments for the past few years. He has been treated at the Army Hospital (Research & Referral) here and at the Military Hospital at Wellington, where he settled down after retiring as the army chief on Jan 15, 1973 after four decades of military service.
He was conferred the honorary rank of field marshal for his stellar leadership during the India-Pakistan war in 1971 that led to the creation of the independent nation of Bangladesh after the surrender of more than 90,000 Pakistani troops in the erstwhile East Pakistan.
Born at Amritsar on April 3, 1914, Manekshaw was commissioned into the army from the first course of the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun, in 1934. He saw action in Burma, now Myanmar, during the Second World War and became the Indian Army chief on June 7, 1969.
- India's first field marshal Sam Manekshaw remembered - Apr 03, 2012
- Manekshaw battling for life in hospital (Lead) - Jun 26, 2008
- Stamp on Field Marshal Manekshaw released on Victory Day - Dec 16, 2008
- Field Marshal Manekshaw, hero of 1971 war, is dead (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2008
- Floral tribute paid to Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw - Jun 27, 2008
- Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw passes away - Jun 27, 2008
- Nation has lost a great soldier: Antony - Jun 27, 2008
- Postage stamp on Field Marshal Manekshaw released - Dec 16, 2008
- 'Sam Bahadur' was a soldier's general (Obituary) - Jun 27, 2008
- Bangalore pays homage to Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw - Jul 05, 2008
- Field Marshal Manekshaw, hero of Bangladesh war, passes away (Third Lead, changing dateline) - Jun 27, 2008
- Marshal of the Air Force Arjan Singh's wife passes away - Apr 16, 2011
- War hero Sam Manekshaw dead, accorded state funeral - Jun 28, 2008
- Air Marshal Kumaria is new IAF vice chief - May 30, 2012
- Lt. Gen. S.K. Singh is new army vice chief - Nov 01, 2011