Manekshaw battling for life in hospital (Lead)June 26th, 2008 - 3:03 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 26 (IANS) Former Indian Army chief Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw, who is credited with crafting the campaign that led to the creation of Bangladesh after the 1971 war with Pakistan, is battling for life in a military hospital in Wellington in Tamil Nadu, a source here said early Thursday. “He is in extremely critical condition and doctors are fearing the worst,” the source told IANS early Thursday, speaking on condition of anonymity.
Manekshaw, 94, has been battling a series of old age-related ailments for the past few years. He has been treated at the Army Hospital (Research & Referral) here and at the Military Hospital at Wellington, where he settled down after retiring as the army chief on Jan 15, 1973 after four decades of military service.
He was conferred the honorary rank of field marshal for his stellar leadership during the Bangladesh campaign that saw the surrender of more than 90,000 Pakistani troops on Dec 16, 1971 in Dacca, then the capital of East Pakistan and which has now been renamed Dhaka.
Born at Amritsar on April 13, 1914, Manekshaw was commissioned into the army from the first course of the Indian Military Academy, Dehradun, in 1934. He saw action in Burma, now Myanmar, during the Second World War and became the Indian Army chief on June 7, 1969.
- India's first field marshal Sam Manekshaw remembered - Apr 03, 2012
- Manekshaw in comatose state in hospital - Jun 26, 2008
- Stamp on Field Marshal Manekshaw released on Victory Day - Dec 16, 2008
- India thanks Bangladesh for honouring 1971 heroes - Apr 04, 2012
- Lt. Gen. S.K. Singh is new army vice chief - Nov 01, 2011
- Field Marshal Manekshaw, hero of 1971 war, is dead (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2008
- Nation has lost a great soldier: Antony - Jun 27, 2008
- Field Marshal Sam Manekshaw passes away - Jun 27, 2008
- Bangladesh to honour 129 foreigners for 1971 - Mar 22, 2012
- Bangladesh to honour 226 Indians for support in 1971 'Liberation War' - Dec 17, 2010
- Postage stamp on Field Marshal Manekshaw released - Dec 16, 2008
- Indian Army chief to visit Bangladesh June 19-23 - Jun 16, 2011
- 'Sam Bahadur' was a soldier's general (Obituary) - Jun 27, 2008
- Field Marshal Manekshaw, hero of Bangladesh war, passes away (Third Lead, changing dateline) - Jun 27, 2008
- Sam Manekshaw dead (Lead) - Jun 27, 2008